CMMS Update & MMS-EEC 2012 Meeting

Niki Martin nmartin at triumf.ca
Mon Mar 12 10:12:47 PDT 2012

Dear Centre for Molecular and Materials Science Users,

The Centre for Materials and Molecular Science (CMMS) is in the midst of
an extensive upgrade to our facilities, and in order to finish the work
on the new beamlines and perform repairs to existing facilities we will
not be providing beam to M15 and M9B until July 2012. The new M20
beamline, which has two end stations, will be commissioned during this
time and will be available for users experiments in September-October
2012. In view of the backlog of approved experiments the Molecular and
Materials Science Experimental Evaluation Committee (MMS-EEC) will not
meet in the summer of 2012 and will not be issuing a call for new or
continuing proposals. The next MMS-EEC meeting will be held in early
December 2012 with a deadline for the submission of proposals
approximately four weeks earlier.

In order to keep up with rapid scientific developments the CMMS has
decided to implement "Rapid Access" beam time. Applications should be a
maximum of 2 pages (8.5" x 11" written with 12 point font) and should
concisely outline the scientific problem, explain how μSR can be used to
solve it and why the request is urgent and cannot wait for the next EEC
meeting. Applications should be sent to the MMS-EEC secretary (Dr. Iain
McKenzie, iain.mckenzie at triumf.ca <mailto:iain.mckenzie at triumf.ca>) and
will be accepted at any time. The proposal will be evaluated by the
MMS-EEC Chairman and one other MMS-EEC member designated by the Chairman
and Secretary. Rapid Access beam time will be awarded only in
exceptional cases as it will supersede previously approved and scheduled
experiments.

The staff of the CMMS is aware that you are very anxious to be
performing experiments and we will make sure the facilities are made
available to you as soon as possible. We will provide updates of our
progress.

Best regards,
Iain McKenzie
MMS-EEC Scientific Secretary

--
Miss Nicole (Niki) Martin
Administrative Assistant, Science Division&  Nuclear Medicine Division

TRIUMF
Accelerating Science for Canada | Un accélérateur de la démarche scientifique canadienne
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3
Canada
Tel:  604-222-7438