ISAC Target module failure - potential consequences for Schedule 125 under investigation

Science Division sciencediv at triumf.ca
Tue Aug 20 08:31:44 PDT 2013

Dear TRIUMF Users, Experimenters, Operators and Staff,

Due to a waterleak in TM4 the SiC/FEBIAD/CTL target ion source had to be
taken offline.

The Accelerator Division experts are evaluating the situation. Proper
inspection of TM4, including locating the leak, requires that TM4 be
transferred to the hot cell. Presently this conflicts with ongoing work
on TM3 refurbishing, which is critical for the fall beam delivery
Schedule 125.

At the present time, the expectation is to transport TM4 to the hot cell
and begin a detailed investigation by the first week of September. Based
on the results of the investigation and repair options, we will evaluate
any potential implications to the fall beam schedule and communicate
them to you as early as possible.

On behalf of TRIUMF I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the
situation has caused for those experiments that had to be cancelled.

Please stay tuned for updates on possible changes to Schedule 125.

Sincerely,
Reiner Kruecken

--
Dr. Reiner Kruecken
Science Division Head - TRIUMF

TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3

phone: 1.604.222.7365
fax:   1.604.222.3791

TRIUMF
Accelerating Science for Canada
Un accélérateur de la démarche scientifique canadienne