TM4 water leak & Schedule 125

Science Division sciencediv at triumf.ca
Fri Sep 6 15:09:00 PDT 2013

Dear TRIUMF Users, Experimenters, Operators and Staff,

This is an update to the situation of the target module TM4 water leak
and the effects on the upcoming Schedule 125.

As you might know TM4 developed a water leak in the cooling circuit and
had to be taken out. It needs to be inspected and repairs or
modification are needed before it can be brought back into operation.
This effects the order of TM used for Schedule 125.

The plan for now is:
1) TM1 with UC and SIS/LIS (confirmed and as originally planned)
2) TM3 with NiO and FEBIAD (replacing TM4 but still in the hot cell for
final testing)
3) TM1 with Ta and SIS/LIS (replacing TM3, this means only low power
target and reduced HV up to 22kV)
4) TM4 with UC and IG-LIS (assuming necessary modifications are possible)

The plan is laid out to maximize the science output and minimize the
impact on the original schedule, however some minor impact is
unavoidable. Moreover, there is residual risks for TM3 with FEBIAD
operation, as the Remote Handling team is still testing components.
These tests are very difficult and require manual access to the hot
cell, hence are limited in time by the individuals receiving maximal
daily radiation levels. Their efforts are much appreciated.

There is also some minor risk associated with the modifications of TM4,
but we will know well ahead of time, if additional changes are needed.

Thank you for your understanding and feel free to contact me should you
have additional questions or concerns. We will keep you updated.

Best regards,
Jens

--
Dr. Jens Dilling