You're Invited to TRIUMF Science Week 2017

sciencediv sciencediv at triumf.ca
Thu Apr 27 16:05:57 PDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

TRIUMF is starting to prepare its Five-Year Plan 2020-2025, a report
that will define TRIUMF's vision and mission, communicate the lab's
goals and priorities, and lay out an action plan for the period
2020-2025 and beyond. In addition, the Five-Year Plan will underpin
TRIUMF's request for operational funding from the Government of Canada.

As announced in February, the 2020-2025 Five-Year Plan will be shaped in
part through broad community consultation. Hosted at TRIUMF, Science
Week is scheduled from July 10-14, 2017 and will play a crucial role in
this consultative process.

Science Week 2017 will consist of topical workshops from Monday through
Thursday, followed by the TRIUMF User Group (TUG) Annual General Meeting
on Friday. The current schedule is as follows:

• Monday, July 10, all day: Nuclear Physics with ARIEL & ISAC
- Local Organizers: Iris Dillmann, Adam Garnsworthy, Greg Hackman, Petr
Navratil

• Tuesday, July 11, AM, PM: Molecular and Materials Science with
Assorted Probes
- Local Organizers: Rob Kiefl, Iain McKenzie, Monika Stachura

• Tuesday, July 11, PM, evening: Innovation Pathways
- Local Organizers: Karthryn Hayashi, Mike Trinczek

• Wednesday, July 12, AM: Life Sciences with Isotopes and Particle Beams
- Local Organizers: Conny Hoehr, Valery Radchenko

• Wednesday, July 12, PM: Accelerator Science and Applications
- Local Organizers: Alex Gottberg, Victor Verzilov

• Thursday, July 13, all day: Particle Physics, Nuclear Physics, and Beyond
- Local Organizers: Mark Hartz, David Morrissey, Oliver Stelzer-Chilton

• Friday, July 14, all day: TRIUMF User Group Annual General Meeting

The workshop series will provide an opportunity to brainstorm plans and
ideas for TRIUMF’s scientific activities for the period 2020-2025 and
beyond. The local organizing teams will solicit input for the program
and reach out to the community in forthcoming communications. Each
session will reserve time for discussing both continuing commitments and
new directions. Please feel free to contact local organizing teams
directly with ideas for their respective workshops.

In May we will issue a call for proposals for any and all activities
that might involve commitments of TRIUMF resources and expertise during
the five years covered by the plan. The submission deadline will be in
the late summer or early fall, 2017. The submissions will be reviewed by
the Policy and Planning Advisory Committee (PPAC). More information will
be forthcoming.

While it is not mandatory to attend Science Week 2017 in order to submit
a PPAC proposal, we aim to include all major current activities in the
Science Week 2017 program. We encourage new ideas to be presented in
this forum for discussion and initial feedback from the community.

TRIUMF has published a webpage to serve as the primary online resource
for information about the 2020-2025 Five-Year Plan development process
and the various consultations with stakeholders, including Science Week
2017 programming. You can access it here,http://www.triumf.ca/FYP2020-25
<http://www.triumf.ca/FYP2020-25>

We invite you to join us at TRIUMF during Science Week 2017 for an open,
broad, and in-depth discussion of exciting science and new ideas.
Please, also forward this invitation to any other colleagues who may not
be part of the TRIUMF community yet, but who may bring valuable and
outside the box ideas to our discussions.

We are looking forward to your input during Science Week 2017 and the
broader Five-Year Plan development process,

Reiner Kruecken, TRIUMF Deputy Director
and
Jens Dilling, TRIUMF ALD Physical Sciences