Beam delivery has resumed

sciencediv sciencediv at triumf.ca
Wed Aug 16 15:03:25 PDT 2017

Dear TRIUMF Users,

Thank you for your continued support as the TRIUMF team has worked
diligently to recover the main cyclotron RF system. I am happy to
announce that beam delivery has been restored!

I want to update you on the latest status, share insights from our
assessment, as well as provide information on future steps.

Thanks to the TRIUMF team’s extraordinary efforts, who have safely and
swiftly brought us back to "beam on".

*Timeline to Beam Recovery*

As I mentioned in past correspondence, the radio frequency (RF) system
of TRIUMF's main cyclotron sustained substantial damage over the August
long weekend, resulting in significant downtime. Specifically, there was
a devastating discharge in the RF transmission line near the main power
coupler.

Here's a brief timeline of what happened:

  * August 5 at 4:40 am: RF tripped, with subsequent complications upon
    restart and further issues throughout the day
  * August 6: Vault inspected, revealing multiple components destroyed
    or partially damaged (the photos are impressive!)
  * August 7: System cooled in preparation for recovery.

As TRIUMF experts studied the damage and devised a path forward, they
were well aware of the impact that beam delivery has on our users.
TRIUMF's RF team worked hard in difficult conditions with strong support
from various groups across the lab, including Applied Technology Group,
Remote Handling, Operations, Radiation Protection and Beamlines, as well
as the Machine Shop, the Design Office, and more.

With a team formed and a plan approved, our colleagues took swift action
on recovery steps:

  * August 8: Recovery began as drawings were gathered and a Work Permit
    opened. Work started on dismantling and removing components for repair
  * August 9: Repair initiated in RH machine shop, damaged components
    removed, transmission line vertical section opened, parts located
  * August 10: Parts repair completed, vertical section insulators
    fabricated, vertical section of transmission line cleaned, new RF
    pick-ups prepared
  * August 11: Assembly started, water hooked up, leak repaired in casting
  * August 12: Assembly completed, RF signal level checked - matching,
    diagnostics
  * August 13: High-level RF brought up - pulse conditioned - 85kV cw ->
    BEAM ON!
  * August 15: Regular beam delivery was resumed, according to Schedule 132

I am sure we all want to express gratitude to everyone involved for the
enormous efforts they put forth in safely and effectively carrying out
this challenging work. Our colleagues delivered superb work while
showing exemplary leadership.

*Next Steps*

Now that beam delivery has been restored, it is time to review what
happened and identify lessons learned: Next steps include:

  * Preparing a 'root cause' analysis of the incident. At present, the
    RF group suspects that a water leak in the capacitor station earlier
    in the week may have been a precursor. Also during re-assembly, a
    pinhole leak was discovered in the horizontal section inner
    conductor that also could provide a clue.
  * Critically assessing our present set of diagnostics and interlocks
    with the aim to avoid major destruction in the future
  * Revisiting the design and materials of the capacitor station to seek
    better reliability
  * Capturing lessons learned relating to systems, processes, and
    approaches as we strive to improve.

Once again, thank you for your continued support, understanding, and
patience – and thank you to everyone involved in the beam recovery.

Regards,
Reiner Kruecken

/sent on Dr. Kruecken behalf by.../

--
Andie Lippingwell
Administrative Assistant

TRIUMF
Accelerating Science for Canada | Un accélérateur de la démarche scientifique canadienne
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3
Canada