DIRECTOR'S OFFICE: HEALTH & SAFETY UPDATE: Safe Work Practices for Handling Lead

Science Division Shared Account sciencediv at triumf.ca
Thu Jun 14 14:07:40 PDT 2018

HEALTH & SAFETY UPDATE: Safe Work Practices for Handling Lead

Dear TRIUMF Experimenters,

We are investigating a possible workplace lead exposure incident in the Meson Hall. We're taking this seriously and have brought in both WorkSafeBC and an outside contractor, ACM Environmental (ACM), to work with our own Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) experts to evaluate the situation and recommend a response. A preliminary summary of the situation can be in this memo saved on Docushare, https://documents.triumf.ca/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-157282.

As a precaution, and to ensure safety while we are evaluating our protective measures, our first response is to have employees and visitors follow two directives in addition to existing personal protective equipment (PPE) and procedural requirements. We continue to work with WorkSafeBC and ACM to determine appropriate and effective long-term solutions.

Effective immediately, all employees and visitors are to follow these two new interim directives in addition to existing PPE and procedural requirements:

* When handling lead, wear a fit-tested half-mask respirator with a P100 cartridge.

* When working around surface dust in the Meson Hall, wear lab coats and gloves, and if the work will cause dust to be airborne, wear a respirator.

To arrange fit-testing for a half-mask respirator, contact the Radiation Protection Group (RPG) at RPG at triumfoffice365.onmicrosoft.com<mailto:RPG at triumfoffice365.onmicrosoft.com>.  For assistance regarding Meson Hall work, contact facility coordinators for the area or RPG surveyors.

For more information on this situation, please see this memo, https://documents.triumf.ca/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-157282. It describes the background of the situation and the steps we are taking to address it. Moreover, it includes links to useful information regarding workplace lead exposure.

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Bagger

Director

Allayne McGowan
Administrative Assistant - Physical Sciences Division
t   604-222-7438
amcgowan at triumf.ca<mailto:amcgowan at triumf.ca>
sciencediv at triumf.ca<mailto:sciencediv at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3