[Geant4] Fwd: FW: job opening at ESSS at Lund

Frederick Jones fwj at triumf.ca
Mon Jan 21 22:32:35 PST 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	FW: job opening at ESSS at Lund
Date: 	Tue, 22 Jan 2019 06:07:56 +0000
From: 	Asai, Makoto <asai at slac.stanford.edu>
To: 	geant4 at cern.ch <geant4 at cern.ch>

Dear colleagues,

Let me forward this job solicitation.

Makoto

----------------

     Begin forwarded message:

     *Software developer and Monte Carlo simulation scientist*

     The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for a software developer and Monte Carlo simulation scientist in the
     Target Division.

     *Description of division*

     The ESS Target Division is part of the ESS Machine Directorate with responsibility to design, develop, procure, install, commission and test the systems needed to convert
     the energetic proton beam coming from the accelerator to neutron beams that are utilized for experiments. The first step in this process is production of high energy
     neutrons through a spallation process involving the proton beam interaction with a tungsten target. The fast, high energy neutrons that are released in the spallation
     process are slowed down to energies that are suitable for different types of experiments at ESS, and then delivered to the instruments through beam ports. Key features of
     the target station are the target itself, the neutron moderator and reflector system, and the neutron beam-extraction system. Particle transport codes such as MCNP are
     extensively used in the design and study of ESS.

     We have an ambitious program of maintenance and development of C++ tools to help generating the input files used for the Monte Carlo simulations. This includes generating
     geometries of the whole ESS facility in a flexible way, materials, source definitions, and variance reduction parameters to improve the statistical accuracy of the
     calculations. We are therefore looking for an experienced software developer with a background in neutron or high-energy physics to be the leader of this program.

     *Description of main responsibilities*

     The Software developer and Monte Carlo simulation scientist will have the following areas of responsibilities:

       * Software development related to Monte Carlo transport codes, which will be the primary job task
       * Develop knowledge of and maintain technical expertise in the field of particle transport codes
       * Use of particle transport codes for neutronic and nuclear calculations for ESS

     *Qualifications*

     We expect the successful candidate to have the following skills and experience:

       * PhD in physics, computer science or equivalent
       * /At least 5 years of experience developing software/
       * Very Advanced knowledge of C++
       * Knowledge of other programming languages, such as python and Fortran, is desirable
       * Experience with use of particle transport codes, such as MCNP, FLUKA, or Geant4, and track record of publications is desirable
       * Background in nuclear or particle physics is desirable
       * /The ability to obtain a license for MCNP/

     Experience of working in an international environment is an advantage and excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite.

     To be successful and perform well in this position the right candidate needs to have a genuine interest in producing nice and structured code, documented in a proper way.
     It is important to be a team player, be enthusiastic about the work, and be self-motivated. You should also be goal-oriented and be used to working towards deadlines. We
     are looking for a brilliant, innovative, and open-minded scientist with excellent communication skills!

     Our work environment is characterised by fast growth, fast pace of work, and an international atmosphere with highly skilled personnel. You must therefore enjoy the
     diversity of such an environment and have a personality suited for the challenges it presents. Our work environment is exciting and forward thinking and relies heavily on
     personal initiative.

     *What ESS can offer *

     ESS can offer you a variety of things, such as passionate colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging and high paced work environment where our
     employees take great pride in designing and building a world leading facility for materials research.

     If you were to join ESS, you would become an important piece of the puzzle, since all our skilled staff are needed in order to fulfill the overall mission. We value and
     need expertise, innovative minds, great ways of leading and interacting with others, and the ability to work with people regardless of culture and background.

     *Duration & Location*
     The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.

     *Application & Contact*
     Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Your cover letter should include a research
     statement with a description of your programming experience ./Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet. Internal candidates are
     encouraged to apply through the intranet./

     The deadline for applications is *2018-02-17*.

     For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process in general, please follow this link _https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
     <https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process>_

     For further information regarding the position, please contact the recruiting manager, Group Leader for Neutronics, Luca Zanini, luca.zanini[at]esss.se <http://esss.se/>.

     For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Tina Nilsson, tina.nilsson[at]esss.se <http://esss.se/>.

     For trade union information please contact Unionen / Mikael Johansson at +46 46 888 32 51 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua at +46
     46 888 32 28.

     We look forward to receiving your application!

--

   Gabriele Cosmo mailto:Gabriele.Cosmo at cern.ch
   Phone: +41 22 76-79636                 Fax: +41 22 76-68046
   Mail : CERN EP/SFT, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
   Web  : http://cern.ch/Gabriele.Cosmo