SCIE 300 Recruitment of faculty/post-docs/grad students to help with outreach project

Anadi Canepa canepa at triumf.ca
Mon Oct 6 12:41:38 PDT 2014

Dear TRIUMF Graduate Students and Postdocs,

please, see the announcement below.

Contributing to this type of outreach activities is a very constructive experience for you and it is a valuable contribution to TRIUMF.

If you are interested, feel free to contact Marcello Paval (in cc).

Best wishes,
Anadi Canepa

> Subject: SCIE 300 - Please help students learn how to communicate science research
>
> The SCIE 300 “Communicating Science” teaching team is asking you to help us with researcher recruitment for the science outreach project in the course.  We need faculty, post-docs, and/or graduate students who are willing to be interviewed (on camera) about a recent or soon-to-be-published paper they have written. The interviews are part of a class project that encourages students to think about the many ways science is communicated.
>
> SCIE 300 students are third- or fourth-year science undergraduates, mostly in the Combined Major in Science program. The interview would likely take place between Nov 3rd and 7th. It will be the responsibility of the students to schedule the interview. We do not expect that the set-up, interviews, and any follow-up will take more than about an hour. When appropriate and possible, permission to film in the lab/in the field and have access to images related to the work would greatly add to the experience. The participation of graduate students and post-docs is encouraged. The students will create a blog post written in journalistic style, a short podcast, and a short video about your research.
>
> Examples of last year's projects are available at:
>
> http://blogs.ubc.ca/communicatingscience2013w111
> http://blogs.ubc.ca/communicatingscience2013w112
>
> The researchers will receive a copy of the video and podcast that they can use for their own purposes (website, blog, etc.).
>
> Any researchers interested in participating in this class project should email Robin Stoodley (stoodley at chem.ubc.ca) with their contact information, a brief description of the research, and a PDF of the recent paper by October 6th. If the paper is still in press, it will not be discussed outside of class or made public in any way before the official publication date.
>
> Thank you very much for helping us with this request.
>
> Ed Grant, Sean Graham, Bruce Dunham, and Robin Stoodley (course coordinator)
> SCIE 300 Teaching Team

Anadi Canepa
Research Scientist, Science Division
TRIUMF, 4004 Wesbrook Mall