Fw: PhD position Institut Laue Langevin (ILL-Grenoble)/Copenhagen University structural biology

gaps at triumf.ca gaps at triumf.ca
Fri Jun 16 11:29:52 PDT 2017

Dear students,

Please see below message for PhD position at ILL/Copenhagen.

Your GAPS

> Dear all,
>
> We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student for an exciting
project entitled "Protein Dynamics at the atomic level". It is a very
interdisciplinary project that aims at pushing the boundaries for
applications of neutrons in structural biology and paving the way for
the use of neutron diffraction to extract information on protein and
water dynamics at the atomic level.

> The student will be enrolled at the University of Copenhagen under the
supervision of Annette Langkilde and Sine Larsen and the PhD project
will be primarily based at the ILL in Grenoble.  More information is
available below and on the website
https://www.ill.eu/fileadmin/users_files/media/careers/doc/phd_programme/PhD_advert-larsen-2017.pdf

> This project aims at pushing the boundaries for applications of neutrons
in structural biology and paving the way for the use of neutron
diffraction to extract information on protein and water dynamics at the
atomic level.
> The last 20 years of development of the experimental methods for protein
structure determination by X-ray diffraction has led to an exponential
growth of known protein structures. In contrast, the number of
structures determined solely by neutron diffraction is still relatively
limited (<50 in the PDB) and mostly based on data measured at medium to
low resolution. The majority of these studies have been conducted with
the purpose of locating functionally important hydrogen atoms.
> The function of a protein is intimately linked to its dynamics, e.g. the
action of the protein is accompanied by structural changes. The atomic
displacement parameters (ADPs or temperature factors) contain
information on structural flexibility and on  structural dynamics in
general. However, the ADPs from conventional refinements based on X-ray
data also include contributions from disorder, and also suffer
deficiencies in the model with respect to the electron distribution,
making their relevance to dynamics difficult to interpret. In contrast,
high resolution neutron diffraction data provide unbiased anisotropic
ADP’s that only reflect protein dynamics. This unique access to the
determination of unbiased anisotropic ADPs, enables a comparison between
neutron and X-ray derived displacement parameters as well as their link
to the dynamic nature of the protein.
> Perdeuteration is crucial in reducing the background arising from
incoherent scattering of hydrogen. However, it is also known that this
isotopic substitution affects the overall properties of a given protein.
The investigation of the effect of deuteration on local dynamics will
constitute an important part of this project.
> The student will work in close collaboration with both ILL and UCPH
supervisors. The research work includes the following:
> ·       Expression, purification and crystallization of perdeuterated
protein
> ·       Collection of high resolution single crystal neutron and X-ray
diffraction data
> ·       Optimization of processing high resolution neutron diffraction
data from protein crystals
> ·       Structure refinement based on the neutron and X-ray diffraction
data.
> ·       Analysis of the effects of deuteration
> ·       Extensive analysis of protein and water dynamics and relation
between obtained X-ray and neutron derived results

> For more information on the project contact Estelle Mossou or  Annette
Langkilde. The student will be enrolled at the University of Copenhagen
and the PhD project will be primarily carried out at the ILL with short
stays at University of Copenhagen when required.
> Applicants should have a masters level relevant degree in biochemistry,
biophysics, chemistry, or similar disciplines. A good level of spoken
and written English is required.
> The successful candidate will be employed for a period of up to three
years, with a gross salary of around 2350 €/month, together with other
benefits depending on the student’s social status (for more details
see:
http://www.ill.eu/science-technology/phd-students/phd-recruitment/phd-work-at-the-ill/).

> Applications (cover letter and CV with references) will be accepted up
to 30th June 2017. The proposed starting date for the studentship is 1st
September 2017.

> Supervisors: Prof. Sine Larsen (Dept. of Chemistry) and Dr. Annette E
Langkilde (Dept. of Drug Design and Pharmacology), Univ. of Copenhagen,
Dr. Estelle Mossou (Diffraction Group) and Prof. Trevor Forsyth (Life
Sciences Group), ILL (Grenoble).