Fw: INVITATION Unveiling the Universe October 23rd 7PM

Gaps gaps at triumf.ca
Tue Oct 16 11:47:06 PDT 2018

Check out the cool opportunity below!

- GAPS

________________________________
From: Jesse Abney
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2018 01:36 PM
To: undergrads at trmail.triumf.ca; Gaps
Subject: INVITATION Unveiling the Universe October 23rd 7PM

Good afternoon GAPS and undergraduates @ TRIUMF!

The last TRIUMF50 Unveiling the Universe public lecture hosted at Science World takes place on Tuesday October, 23rd at 7PM, featuring our very own Dr. Stan Yen presenting, “Catching Ghosts: Using Neutrinos to Unveil the Universe.” Stan will introduce the audience to the significance of neutrinos in modern astrophysics research, exploring some of the detector technology used to better understand these multi-flavoured particles.

For over 35 years, Stan has contributed to a variety of experiments in nuclear and particle physics at TRIUMF, at DESY in Germany, and at KEK and JPARC in Japan. He helped to build the HALO supernova neutrino detector in SNOLAB largely from recovered parts, creating Canada’s first contribution to the global Supernova Early Warning System (SNEWS).

Free tickets for Stan’s lecture are available with advance registration from the link below.

**We also welcome any TRIUMF staff and students who'd like to participate in putting on the show -- volunteer and event details follow.**

The successful production of outreach events like these are team efforts and we’re looking for a few volunteers who'd like to help out. Doing so will earn you a new TRIUMF blue T-shirt and free popcorn! Volunteers will be needed at Science World between the hours of 6PM and 830PM to support:
- Guest check in
- Load in/out of equipment
- Facilitation of audience Q&A following the lecture

Hit reply if you're interested in being part of this event team, thanks!

[cid:image001.png at 01D4648C.209F0B00]<https://www.triumf.ca/sites/default/files/user-2673/UTU_Oct23_poster-conv2.png>

See https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/catching-ghosts-using-neutrinos-to-unveil-the-universe-tickets-427216957

---
Jesse Abney

Public Programs Manager

t (<tel:(604)%20222-7501>604) 222.7501<tel:(604)%20222-7501>

jabney at triumf.ca<mailto:jabney at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre turns 50 this year

https://www.triumf50.com/ @triumflab

4004 Wesbrook Mall

Vancouver BC V6T 2A3 Canada