Science Week 2019 – Save the Date

Gaps gaps at triumf.ca
Mon Apr 15 16:10:36 PDT 2019

Hi all,

See the announcement of Science Week 2019 below.

- Your GAPS

Subject: Science Week 2019 – Save the Date

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I am writing today to ask you to mark your calendar for TRIUMF's Science Week 2019, August 19-23, 2019

This year we are planning a broad program featuring a summer school for IAMI, a workshop to discuss the first science of the ARIEL era with CANREB, a symposium celebrating 20 years of ISAC science, the TRIUMF Users’ Group (TUG) Annual General Meeting, and a data science and quantum computing workshop. Science Week is a wonderful opportunity for the whole TRIUMF community to come together, exchange ideas, and learn about the multidisciplinary program of the lab. Here is a high-level overview of the program:

Monday, August 19, 2019: IAMI Summer School

The one-day IAMI Summer School will give attendees an opportunity to learn more about the new Institute for Advanced Medical Isotopes (IAMI) currently under construction at TRIUMF. The program is primarily aimed at graduate students with morning lectures and afternoon hands-on activities. The morning lectures by leading experts will introduce the science reach of IAMI and provide an opportunity for the whole TRIUMF community to learn more about IAMI, as well as enabling the nuclear medicine community to foster new collaborations around this exciting new facility.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019: CANREB Workshop

The CANREB workshop offers a platform to discuss new experiments with re-accelerated beams of high mass (A>30) rare isotopes at TRIUMF utilizing the Canadian Rare Isotope Facility with Electron Beam Ion Source (CANREB). The meeting is intended to shape a first phase science program with CANREB beams that are anticipated to become available 2020 onwards. This will include the EEC approved Letters of Intent. Abstracts for the workshop will be solicited at a later date.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019: ISAC20 Symposium

2019 marks 20 years of rare isotope beam experiments with the Isotope Separator and Accelerator (ISAC) facility. We will celebrate two decades of discovery with rare isotope beams from TRIUMF-ISAC with a symposium that will provide an opportunity to review highlights of the ISAC science programs in nuclear structure, nuclear astrophysics, fundamental symmetries, material and life sciences, and look to the future prospects with ARIEL.

Thursday, August 22, 2019: TUG Annual General Meeting

The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the TRIUMF Users Group (TUG) will bring together scientists from across all TRIUMF disciplines to highlight recent research and discuss future perspectives for user-driven science at TRIUMF. The AGM will feature our popular TUG student poster slam competition - prizes will be awarded for best student talks!

Friday, August 23, 2019: Data Science and Quantum Computing Workshop

The Data Science and Quantum Computing Workshop during Science Week will give participants an opportunity to learn more about the latest applications and resources in machine learning and quantum computing. In particular, how these tools can apply and enhance our research output in particle, nuclear and accelerator physics, as well as in the life sciences. The workshop is intended to both enable new connections, as well as strengthen existing collaborations between academic and private sector institutions.

Details about programming and registration will soon be available.

Please join us at TRIUMF for a week of activities highlighting our exciting science – past, present, and future!

Reiner Kruecken

Deputy Director, Research