Gauging interest in a virtual APS NW Conference

Gaps gaps at triumf.ca
Wed Apr 8 07:03:15 PDT 2020

Hello TRIUMF grad students!

The APS NW conference<https://www.tru.ca/science/programs/physics/APS_NWS_2020_Conference.html> was supposed to be held at the end of May, at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops. The organizers have made the decision to cancel the event due to COVID-19, but would like to find out from YOU if there is still interest in attending a virtual conference around the end of May.

>From the organizers, the proposed format of the virtual conference is the following:

Proposed Format:  one day conference held in 1.5h long chunks, organized roughly by topic 25 min plenary,  10 min contributed with 20 min breaks in between.  Some 20 min breaks will have organized social aspect.  So 5 sessions, 7 talks per session is 35 presentations, we could probably run it with 25 as our min.

Graduate students could still submit abstracts for the conference and, if accepted, could present 10 min talks during the one day virtual conference. Of course I’m sure if people just wanted to attend to listen to the talks that would also be welcome.

Right now in order to determine if there is sufficient interest to hold such an event, the organizers would like feedback on the following:

1. Would there still be interest in attending a virtual conference at the end of May?
2. What day of the week would be preferable? During regular work hours? Or would people still show up on Saturday?

Please send your feedback on these questions to dtrischuk at physics.ubc.ca.

Thanks!

-Your GAPS