Effective Field Theory Reading Course

Marianne Moore mmoore at triumf.ca
Mon Apr 27 16:16:41 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,
I plan to run a reading course on effective field theory over the Summer term, based on the edX course by Prof. Iain Stewart from MIT (https://www.edx.org/course/effective-field-theory). The topic requires that you have some familiarity with quantum field theory. I've included at the end of the email a description of the course by Iain Stewart, and attached the detailed syllabus.
The general idea is that people watch the videos corresponding to the week's topic, and on Fridays afternoon (2-4 pm) we meet up through videoconferencing with Zoom. The first hour will be a presentation, and the second hour will be a discussion of problems, both of which will be led by an assigned presenter.
Please respond to this email no later than Thursday, April 30 if you are interested. I would like to have a quick meeting on Friday (May 1st) at 3pm so we can meet face to face (on video), discuss our goals and what we would like to learn from this experience, and if the scheduling works for everyone (or what accommodates the majority).
Sincerely,
Marianne Moore