Particle Physics Course Offering

Marianne Moore mmoore at triumf.ca
Fri Jul 10 11:59:07 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I would like to gauge interest in a graduate level course that could be offered this coming Winter term 2 (January - April), PHYS 528: Elementary Particle Physics. The prerequisites are officially PHYS 506, 508 or 526, i.e. some familiarity with obtaining the Feynman rules from a Lagrangian, and knowing how to compute scattering amplitudes in QED.

The course would be taught by David Morrissey from TRIUMF, most likely remotely. The course syllabus includes the following topics (here is the webpage from the last time the course was taught https://particletheory.triumf.ca/dmorrissey/Teaching/PHYS528-2017/):

*       Review of QFT basics and QED
*       Symmetries in particle physics
*       Generalizing QED: non-Abelian gauge theories
*       Spontaneous symmetry breaking and the Higgs mechanism
*       The structure of the Standard Model
*       Electroweak and Higgs physics
*       Loops and effective field theories
*       QCD, from high to low energy and back
*       Collider Physics
*       Beyond the Standard Model

Please let me know if you would be interested in taking such a course, and what background you have in particle physics.

Kind regards,
Marianne