GAPS Return To Research Information

Daniel Yates dyates at triumf.ca
Wed Jun 3 15:43:22 PDT 2020

Hi GAPS members,

As I’m sure you know, this week TRIUMF started to resume some research activities on site and will slowly ramp up research over the coming months.

You should expect to receive (and may have already received) a number of site-wide communications over this week with more information, but here are a couple of points I’d like to address and clarify for the GAPS community.

Returning to TRIUMF:

  *   The different divisions are scheduling on-site work in a way that ensures that site occupation guidelines are followed while also allowing the greatest amount of research to occur at a time. If a project you work on is scheduled and you are going to come to TRIUMF to work on it, you should hear about that directly from your TRIUMF supervisor (or possibly department head).
  *   Before returning to site, make sure that you have completed the newly-released TRIUMF return-to-site safety training (https://learning.triumf.ca/). This training takes just a few minutes to complete.
  *   Starting today, there is an occupancy form (Occupancy Tracking Form<https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=EDUFwrOceUai049ELgO1h4czHH1jj49DpuAKewW2sdVUNVlISzMwOFBTWjdZT0tFRkYxN0RZMjlOWCQlQCN0PWcu>) that must be completed by each person each day that they will be on site working. This must be completed prior to accessing the site. A site-wide email with instructions regarding this was distributed last night.

Supervisor Pressure:

  *   As stated above, the opportunities for research are fewer than normal due to the low occupancy and social distancing requirements in place. Thus, when a supervisor gets the opportunity to work on his or her project, you may feel pressure to come in, work on it, and finish the work in the allotted time for the project that day. This is just a reminder for you that your safety is the most important thing. If you don’t feel comfortable either coming to TRIUMF or performing a certain task, you don’t have to.
  *   If you are experiencing pressure or other difficulties with your supervisor regarding returning to work, please reach out to either myself (dyates at triumf.ca<mailto:dyates at triumf.ca>), the GAPS committee (gaps at triumf.ca<mailto:gaps at triumf.ca>), or Reiner Kruecken (Deputy Director of Research, reinerk at triumf.ca<mailto:reinerk at triumf.ca>) for assistance.

Thesis Advancement Work:

  *   One consideration for which projects get scheduled at TRIUMF is the impact on graduate students’ theses. Those of you later in your degree may be concerned about being able to graduate on time due to the shutdown of TRIUMF. If this is the case, make sure that when your supervisor fills out requests for project scheduling at TRIUMF, he or she indicates the impact that that project will have on graduate students being able to progress in their degrees.
  *   If you are still concerned about being able to advance your project and graduate on time, feel free to reach out to me, and I will see how I can help.

Feedback for On-site Experience so Far:

  *   If you are one of the few that has already made your way on to site to begin resuming activities, I would like to have your feedback on how that has been so far! Please send me an email (dyates at triumf.ca<mailto:dyates at triumf.ca>) describing what worked, what didn’t, what improvements you’d like to see, or any other information you’d like to provide!

Again, if you need any support during this time, feel free to reach out to me or the GAPS committee (gaps at triumf.ca<mailto:gaps at triumf.ca>), and we will be sure to help you.

Cheers,
Daniel Yates