Register for 'Cornerstone Models of Quantum Computing' online seminar and tutorial series

Science Division Shared Account sciencediv at triumf.ca
Mon Jun 8 17:02:55 PDT 2020

Sent on behalf of Olivia di Matteo and Wojtek Fedorko...

Hello!

We are excited to announce an upcoming online seminar and tutorial series, "Cornerstone Models of Quantum Computing" that will take place in July and August of this year. The series is organized jointly by Quantum BC, UBC, SFU, UVic, SBQMI, TRIUMF, and the Helmholtz Association.

Please share these details with any students or colleagues who may be interested.

Each week, our speakers will introduce the basics of a different model of quantum computing, show how computation is done, and get you programming quantum algorithms on your own! The content will be divided into roughly equal parts lecture, and hands-on group activities facilitated by a team of tutors.

The series will be held over four weeks, with two 1.5 hr sessions per week:
(21, 23 July): Gate-based qubit quantum computing - Ferdinand Schmidt-Kaler, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
(28, 30 July): Quantum annealing - Allison MacDonald and Alex Koszegi, D-Wave Systems
(4, 6 August): Measurement-based quantum computing - Robert Raussendorf, UBC
(11, 13 August): Continuous-variable quantum computing - Nathan Killoran and Zachary Vernon, Xanadu

All sessions will take place at 8:00am Pacific / 17:00 European time unless otherwise specified. While we hope you are able to attend all four sessions, we are designing them to be modular so that you can attend only specific weeks.

Registration will open at 9am PST on Wednesday 10 June, and close at 5pm on Friday 26 June. The form for registration is available here:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=EDUFwrOceUai049ELgO1h3sVbQxXYHJLl52QHlspqTRUNVhTTVRVUkhSTjlUNjlMRlZSOExIUUlRTy4u

This series is targeted to graduate students in quantitative science disciplines, but anyone who is interested is welcome to attend. As these seminars involve a hands-on component, we will be limiting attendance to ensure that tutors can provide adequate support. By signing up, you are making a commitment to attend and participate actively in the sessions. If you are invited to attend, you will be notified on Friday 3 July. Should we reach the attendance limit, priority will be given to graduate students in BC and Helmholtz Institutes who are able to attend all four sessions.

There are a few prerequisites:
- Proficiency in Python programming (or another language, and willing to learn Python prior to the seminars)
- Linear algebra (Matrix operations, tensor product, computing eigenvalues and eigenvectors)
Knowledge of elementary quantum mechanics (Bra/ket notation, spin-½ systems) is an advantage, however "pre-reading" on basics of quantum mechanics will be provided a few weeks in advance of the first session. No quantum computing experience is required, however you must attend the first sessions on gate model (or let us know about equivalent experience), and be familiar with the Python package PennyLane, in order to attend the measurement-based and continuous-variable sessions.

We will also provide connection details, installation instructions, and a brief overview of software packages as part of the pre-reading material that all attendees will be expected to work through prior to the beginning of the series.

Please get in touch if you have any questions!

Olivia Di Matteo, odimatteo at triumf.ca<mailto:odimatteo at triumf.ca>
Wojtek Fedorko, wfedorko at triumf.ca<mailto:wfedorko at triumf.ca>
Irina Paci, ipaci at uvic.ca<mailto:ipaci at uvic.ca>
David Weekes, david.weekes at ubc.ca<mailto:david.weekes at ubc.ca>

-----------------------------

Allayne McGowan
Administrative Assistant - Physical Sciences Division
Assistant to Dr. Jens Dilling - Associate Laboratory Director
t   604-222-7438
amcgowan at triumf.ca<mailto:amcgowan at triumf.ca>
sciencediv at triumf.ca<mailto:sciencediv at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca/> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3