Developing New Directions in Fundamental Physics Workshop Nov. 2020

Science Division Shared Account sciencediv at triumf.ca
Fri Oct 16 16:15:00 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

The TRIUMF Laboratory in Vancouver, Canada, and the Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics (CENPA) at the University of Washington, Seattle, USA are jointly organising a workshop: Developing New Directions in Fundamental Physics (DND2020). The workshop will be online from November 4-6 2020 (rescheduled due to the COVID-19 pandemic). The workshop is generously supported by the Moore Foundation, CENPA, and TRIUMF.

The scope of the workshop is to bring together experts in both theory and experiment to explore how TRIUMF and CENPA can advance searches for new physics over the next five to ten years and beyond.  In particular, a central goal of the workshop is to identify potential new experimental programs at these laboratories that would make full use of their respective unique resources and expertise and help drive the worldwide effort to discover new fundamental physics.
For the workshop, we plan to have a number of plenary talks to lay out the current situation regarding pressing questions in fundamental physics related to TRIUMF's and CENPA's mission as well as their local experimental capabilities. These will be followed by parallel talks in a number of topically focused working groups that will include ample time for brainstorming and discussions. The convenors of these working groups will then give plenary talks summarizing the discussions and identifying interesting questions to answer in the near term. Ideally, this will be the first in a series of workshops (2020-2022) that become more focused as viable and the most promising ideas are developed and less promising ones are discarded, and results in a White Paper that can be used towards a funding application (for example for Canada Foundation of Innovation) towards a new flagship program at TRIUMF.
We would like to invite you to participate in the workshop. This will be a two-and-a-half day workshop starting the morning of Wednesday, Nov. 4th and ending around midday Friday, Nov. 6th. You can register and find streaming and scheduling details at:
http://meetings.triumf.ca/indico/e/dnd2020
Note that all times displayed are Pacific. We will send further details with Zoom instructions to those who register. We hope that you'll be able to participate in this exciting workshop.
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

The DND organizing team:
               David Hertzog
               Beatrice Franke
               David McKeen
               David Morrisey
               Patrick de Perio
               Jens Dilling

Sent on the team's behalf by...

Allayne McGowan
Administrative Assistant - Physical Sciences Division
Assistant to Dr. Jens Dilling - Associate Laboratory Director
t   604-222-7438
amcgowan at triumf.ca<mailto:amcgowan at triumf.ca>
sciencediv at triumf.ca<mailto:sciencediv at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca/> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3