[Isac-journal-club] JOURNAL/SNACK CLUB TOMORROW/WEDNESDAY 3:30 MOB

journalclub journalclub at triumf.ca
Tue Nov 8 19:39:46 PST 2016

Tomorrow Wednesday November 9th 3:30 in MOB Theory Room

This weeks paper:
http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphys3916.html

Questions for reading:
1) What is meant by a "bubble nucleus"?
2) Why is 34Si a good candidate to be a bubble nucleus?
3) What was the main motivation for this experiment?
4) How do they determine if the proton knocked out of 34Si had L = 2 or L =
0 and why do they only need to consider these two options?
5) Why is the measured longitudinal momentum distribution shown in figures
2 b-g asymmetric?
6) What is the significance of the observed asymmetry between proton and
neutron densities?
7) Why do they conclude that 34Si is doubly magic?

Questions for discussion:
1) What can we learn by studying bubble nuclei?
2) Can we trust their extraction of the spectroscopic factors from the
experimental cross sections?
3) Can studying 34Si really answer all of the questions that they say it
can?
4) How do their results place constraints on the nuclear spin-orbit force?