[Isac-journal-club] JOURNAL CLUB WEDNESDAY 14th 3:30PM ISAC II ROOM 223

James Smallcombe jsmallcombe at triumf.ca
Fri Sep 9 17:55:39 PDT 2016

Hello All,

We will be restarting the ISAC journal club, following our summer hiatus,
next Wednesday (the 14th) .

Please encourage your new students (who may not be on mailing lists yet) to
attend as it is a good opportunity for them to learn and to interface with
other research groups.

This week we will be looking at something outside of research topics of
anyone at TRIUMF, in-beam fission studies:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269316304300

The following questions will be used as a starting point for the discussion:
How is particle ID achieved? What limits/facilitates the observed
resolution?
What factors affect the fission barrier?
How are masses determined, what are limitations of the method?
What assumptions are made, how do these effect the results?
What are the limitations of extending this study further into the actinides?
What area of physics understanding does the research benefit? Is anything
surprising observed?
What is the quasi-fission process, does it need to be considered?

Regards
James S