[Isac-journal-club] Isac-journal-club this Wed. Nov. 22

Nir Nevo Dinur nnevodinur at triumf.ca
Mon Nov 20 12:24:05 PST 2017

Hi,

The paper (attached) for the coming ISAC journal club is *The Rydberg
constant and proton size from atomic hydrogen*

[Science. <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28983046#> 2017 Oct
6;358(6359):79-85. doi: 10.1126/science.aah6677]

You can also use the comment on it from the same issue (also attached)

Questions (from easiest to hardest :-) ):

1) What is the proton radius (puzzle) ?

2) Why do you (usually) need two measurements to determine it, and why
is the 1S-2S used?

3) What are the main experimental challenges in the precision goal of
this measurement?

4) How are they overcome?

5) Is the use of sophisticated simulations no longer needed?

6) Are there similar phenomena that might affect measurements of nuclear
spectra?

7) So what is the proton radius after all?

Best,
Nir

Dr. Nir Nevo Dinur
Postdoctoral Fellow