[Isac-journal-club] Journal Club Wednesday June 13th 3:30

journalclub journalclub at triumf.ca
Mon Jun 11 20:32:56 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

we will have a journal club this week, as usual on Wednesday at 3:30 in
the MOB Theory Room. This week, Brian will present an astrophysics paper
on everyone's favourite lettered process with the catchy title "The
/r/-process Pattern of a Bright, Highly /r/-process-enhanced Metal-poor
Halo Star at [Fe/H] ~ −2"
(http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/aaa9b4/meta or
https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.07727). He comments that you can skip the tables.

Questions:

Why would we want to look for r-process patterns in “metal-poor” stars?
Why are the sample sizes of “r-1” and “r-2” stars so small?
What is the significance of this star not being C-enhanced?
What is meant by a “limited” r-process and what can this observation
tell us about it?
How might this star influence our understanding of the origin of r-II
stars?
Is this surprising?

Hope to see you there!