[Isac-journal-club] Journal Club (Wed 30th)

journalclub journalclub at triumf.ca
Mon May 28 19:10:07 PDT 2018

Hello All,
Join us this week Wednesday 30th 3:30 in the MOB Theory room for another
informative and entertaining journal club, with GAPS snacks.

This week's Melissa will be presenting the following paper:
First direct constraints on Fierz interference in free-neutron β decay
https://journals.aps.org/prc/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevC.96.042501

Melissa assures us that by the end of her presentation we will all
understand what Fierz interference is and what neutrons are. So do come
irrespective of your level or literacy and send along any new students
you've found recently.

Some questions to consider:
* What is Fierz interference?  Why is it interesting, and what do we expect
its value to be?
* How is the energy calibration performed?
* Is a linear detector response model justifiable?
* Is it okay to assume both detectors have the same calibration?
* What is a "super-sum"?  What makes it an improvement over a normal sum?
Is it definitely better than a super-ratio?
* Overall, is this result sound?

Regards,
Shadow Council