[Learn-data-science] Data Science Meeting Summary

David Livermore dlivermore at triumf.ca
Wed Sep 26 16:20:08 PDT 2018

Hello!

We have just concluded our weekly meeting.  Here is a brief summary of what we decided:

  *   We have decided to follow an online course (Coursera course on Machine Learning<https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning>)
     *   This course uses MATLAB/Octave, but there are tools to convert between Python and MATLAB, if you prefer:
        *   A tool to convert MATLAB code to Python<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9845292/a-tool-to-convert-matlab-code-to-python>
        *   Call Python Library functions from MATLAB<https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/call-python-libraries.html>
        *   I haven't tried either so I can't speak to their quality.
  *   Participation in this group is voluntary and can take one of several forms:
     *   Student/Teacher: take the course online, attend meetings and teach a lesson or two
     *   Student: take the course online, attend meetings but don't teach any lessons
     *   Auditor: don't take the course, nor teach, but still attend meetings
  *   Our next meeting is Oct 10, where I (David Livermore), will be creating a lesson based on the first two weeks of material from the course above.

Thanks to everyone who made it out, and if you have any questions, concerns, comments, let me know!

As an aside, if you have any suggestions regarding the snack options, that would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
David Livermore