[Mms-experimental-program] TRIUMF Experimental Program Update

Science Division Shared Account sciencediv at triumf.ca
Thu Apr 23 13:44:01 PDT 2020

Dear TRIUMF Users and Experimenters,
The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has significantly impacted operations at TRIUMF. To date, TRIUMF has formed a COVID-19 task force that is helping guide the laboratory response (please see here for more information: https://www.triumf.ca/COVID-19%20RESOURCES) and has developed health and safety protocols that align with provincial and federal advisories. At this point, onsite operations are limited to the level required for medical isotope production and critical R&D related to the COVID-19 response, for example developments of ventilators (please see https://www.triumf.ca/current-events/triumf-community-rallies-response-covid-19-pandemic). All other functions have shifted to remote work.

We cannot make any predictions at present about when we will be able to restart our user programs, as the focus remains on ensuring safe and responsible operations. Management is exploring various operational scenarios across TRIUMF's facilities, and while no firm decisions have yet been made, we commit to reaching out with additional information as soon as it is available. Irrespective of the exact timeline, we do expect that there will be a gradual ramping up with an emphasis on social distancing while running experiments, as maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our staff and users is our primary concern.
The delays outlined above mean that we are expecting an overall curtailed user program for 2020. As a consequence of this, we are cancelling the Summer 2020 Call for Proposals and both the SAP and MMS-EEC Meetings. Shifts that were due to expire in June 2020 will be extended by 6 months at least.
We will provide updated information as soon as it is available. Thank you for your understanding during these difficult times for us all.
If you have questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Chris Ruiz (ruiz at triumf.ca<mailto:ruiz at triumf.ca>)
Head, Nuclear Physics Department, and ISAC Beam Scheduler

Iain McKenzie (iainmckenzie at triumf.ca<mailto:iainmckenzie at triumf.ca>)
CMMS User Liaison Scientist and Scientific Secretary of the MMS-EEC

Jens Dilling (jdilling at triumf.ca<mailto:jdilling at triumf.ca>)
Associate Laboratory Director, Physical Sciences

Allayne McGowan
Administrative Assistant - Physical Sciences Division
t   604-222-7438
amcgowan at triumf.ca<mailto:amcgowan at triumf.ca>
sciencediv at triumf.ca<mailto:sciencediv at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3