[News-releases] Bombardier's Sylvain Lévesque Joins TRIUMF Board

Tim Meyer tmeyer at triumf.ca
Mon Jan 14 06:00:46 PST 2013

News Release | For Immediate Release | January 14, 2013, 6:00 a.m. PST

BOMBARDIER’S SYLVAIN LÉVESQUE JOINS TRIUMF BOARD

(Vancouver, BC) --- Dr. Sylvain Lévesque, Vice-President of Corporate
Strategy at Bombardier Inc., a world-leading manufacturer of innovative
transportation solutions, has joined the Board of Management for TRIUMF,
Canada’s national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics, for a
three-year term.  Owned and operated by a consortium of 17 Canadian
universities with core operating funds administered via a contribution
agreement through National Research Council Canada, TRIUMF is guided by a
Board that includes university vice-presidents of research, prestigious
scientists, and leading members of Canada’s private sector.

Paul Young, Chair of TRIUMF’s Board and Vice President, Research at the
University of Toronto, said, “We welcome the participation of Sylvain and
his extensive experience at Bombardier.  TRIUMF is a national resource for
basic research and yet we also fulfill a technological innovation mission
for Canada.  Dr. Lévesque will be a valuable addition to the Board.”

Dr. Sylvain Lévesque earned his Ph.D. from MIT in Engineering and worked at
McKinsey & Company before joining Bombardier in 1999.  He brings deep
experience with large, technical organizations and a passion for science and
engineering.  He said, “I am excited to work more closely with TRIUMF.  It
has a track record of excellence and I am eager to provide guidance on where
Canada’s industrial sector might draw greater strength from the laboratory.”

TRIUMF’s Board of Management reflects the unique status of TRIUMF, a
laboratory operating for more than forty years as a joint venture from
Canada’s leading research universities.  The consortium includes
universities from Halifax to Victoria.

Nigel S. Lockyer, Director of TRIUMF, said, “TRIUMF has always had a dual
mission of research and innovation. One of the chief thrusts of our present
strategy is advancing isotopes for science and medicine in addition to
probing the structure and origins of matter.  I am delighted to work with
Dr. Lévesque and expect him to both challenge and expand our business focus
in working with industrial partners.”

Dr. Lévesque will attend the next meeting of the Board of Management
scheduled for Spring 2013 in Vancouver.

###

**************************
Timothy I. Meyer, Ph.D.
Head, Strategic Planning & Communications
TRIUMF -- Accelerating Science for Canada |
    Un accélérateur de la démarche scientifique canadienne
4004 Wesbrook Mall | Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3 | CANADA
Tel: 604.222.7674
Fax: 604.222.3791
Mobile (w/call fwd): 604.235.1925
E-mail: tmeyer at triumf.ca