[News-releases] McGill University Formally Joins the TRIUMF Family

Tim Meyer tmeyer at triumf.ca
Fri May 10 05:58:53 PDT 2013

News Release | For Immediate Release | May 10, 2013, 9:00 a.m. EDT

MCGILL UNIVERSITY FORMALLY JOINS THE TRIUMF FAMILY

(Vancouver, BC) --- At its recent Board of Management meeting, TRIUMF
approved McGill University as an associate member of the consortium of
universities that owns and operates Canada’s national laboratory for
particle and nuclear physics.  McGill joins 17 other Canadian universities
in leading TRIUMF.

Paul Young, Chair of the Board and Vice President for Research at the
University of Toronto, said, “The addition of McGill to the TRIUMF family is
a great step forward.  McGill brings world-class scientists and students to
TRIUMF and TRIUMF brings world-leading research tools and partnerships to
McGill.”

The university’s closer association with TRIUMF will allow it to participate
in discussions about setting the direction of the laboratory as well provide
enhanced partnerships for new research infrastructure that strengthens
efforts on McGill’s campuses.  Dr. Rose Goldstein, McGill Vice-Principal
(Research and International Relations), said, “We are delighted to formalize
our long-standing involvement in TRIUMF.  It is an important bridge to
international research opportunities at CERN and elsewhere.  Associate
membership in TRIUMF will also help McGill advance its Strategic Research
Plan, especially in the priority area of exploring the natural environment,
space, and the universe.”

McGill University has been involved in TRIUMF-led activities for several
decades, most notably as part of the Higgs-hunting efforts at CERN.  TRIUMF
constructed parts of the Large Hadron Collider that ultimately produced
Higgs bosons.  The co-discovery was made by the ATLAS experiment for which
TRIUMF led Canadian construction of several major components, and McGill
played a key role in the development of the experiment’s trigger system.
McGill and TRIUMF have also worked together on particle-physics projects in
Japan and the U.S.

Professor Charles Gale, chair of the Department of Physics, played a key
role in formalizing the relationship between TRIUMF and McGill.  He said,
“Our department is one of the top in North America in research, teaching,
and service.  Undoubtedly our work with TRIUMF has helped contribute to that
and I expect both institutions to blossom even further.”  Professor of
physics and Canadian Research Chair in Particle Physics Brigitte Vachon
added, “TRIUMF provides key resources to my students and me that make our
research at CERN possible; the discovery of the Higgs boson is a perfect
example of what such collaboration can achieve.”

Nigel S. Lockyer, director of TRIUMF, commented, “The addition of McGill to
the TRIUMF team is welcome and long overdue.  We have been working together
for decades in subatomic physics and this acknowledgment of the partnership
enhances both institutions and builds stronger ties in areas such as
materials science and nuclear medicine.”

TRIUMF’s core operations are supported via a contribution through National
Research Council Canada with additional funding from the Canada Foundation
for Innovation, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Natural Resources
Canada, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, and Western
Economic Diversification.  The Government of British Columbia has provided
building capital funds.

-30-

***************************
Timothy I. Meyer, Ph.D.
Head, Strategic Planning & Communications
TRIUMF -- Accelerating Science for Canada |
    Un accélérateur de la démarche scientifique canadienne
4004 Wesbrook Mall | Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3 | CANADA
Tel: 604.222.7674
Fax: 604.222.3791
Mobile (w/call fwd): 604.235.1925
E-mail: tmeyer at triumf.ca