[News-releases] Canada Bolsters Support for Science and Technology

Tim Meyer tmeyer at triumf.ca
Tue Feb 11 16:58:54 PST 2014

News Release | For Immediate Release | Tuesday, February 11, 5:00 pm PST

CANADA BOLSTERS SUPPORT FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Early Investment Launches TRIUMF’s Ambitious Five-Year Plan

(Vancouver, BC) --- In its Economic Action Plan for 2014-2015 released
today, the Government of Canada has renewed its commitment to TRIUMF’s
existing world-leading research and international partnership activities.
The budget secures a base level for existing operations, proposing $222
million for the five years beginning 2015-2016.  The announcement of this
commitment comes a year in advance and gives TRIUMF a six-year planning
horizon for the first time, a strategic advantage for Canada in the highly
competitive world of international science.

Paul Young, Chair of the TRIUMF Board of Management and Vice-President,
Research and Innovation, at the University of Toronto said, “This investment
signals high confidence in TRIUMF and its pursuit of fundamental research
that attracts talent and fuels growth.  The government has made a clear
statement about the continuing value of the laboratory and the Canadian
science, technology, and innovation it represents.  We look forward to
working with the government to continue enhancing resources for TRIUMF’s
operations and seizing new opportunities.”

Jim Hanlon, TRIUMF’s Interim Chief Executive Officer / Chief Administrative
Officer, said, “We were pleasantly surprised to see this early support for
core operations in TRIUMF’s Five-Year Plan 2015-2020.  The plan focuses on
providing value to Canada by advancing knowledge, creating future leaders,
and driving growth.  We have high ambitions and this investment will enable
us to work with the Government of Canada and all our stakeholders to secure
the additional resources required to implement the plan.”

TRIUMF’s Five-Year Plan 2015-2020 is available at URL
http://www.triumf.ca/five-year-plan-2015-2020.

-30-

***************************
Timothy I. Meyer, Ph.D.
Head, Strategic Planning & Communications
TRIUMF -- Accelerating Science for Canada |
    Un accélérateur de la démarche scientifique canadienne
4004 Wesbrook Mall | Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3 | CANADA
Tel: 604.222.7674
Fax: 604.222.3791
Mobile (w/call fwd): 604.235.1925
E-mail: tmeyer at triumf.ca