[News-releases] Canada and Japan Usher in a New Era of Partnership in Physics Research

Carla Rodrigo communications at triumf.ca
Mon May 16 09:30:14 PDT 2016

News Release | For Immediate Release | May 16, 2016 9:30AM PDT

Canada and Japan Usher in a New Era of Partnership in Physics Research

Canada¹s Minister of Science commemorates the newly established TRIUMF
branch office at Japan¹s KEK

(Tsukuba, Japan/Vancouver, Canada) ­ On Sunday, May 15, The Honourable
Kirsty Duncan, Canada¹s Minister of Science, welcomed a new era of
world-class scientific partnership between Canada and Japan as she unveiled
the new TRIUMF <http://www.triumf.ca/>  branch office located at Japan¹s KEK
<https://www.kek.jp/en/index.html> . Minister Duncan was joined by
dignitaries from both laboratories to perform the ribbon cutting,
celebrating the research collaboration between these two hubs for subatomic
physics research.

The new branch office, which is also shared with CERN <http://home.cern/> ,
follows the recent signing of a new partnership agreement this past December
<http://www.triumf.ca/current-events/canada-and-japan-strengthen-partnership
>  by Dr. Jonathan Bagger, Director of TRIUMF ­ Canada¹s national laboratory
for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science ­ and Dr.
Masanori Yamauchi, Director General of KEK ­ The High Energy Accelerator
Research Organization in Japan. This agreement enhances research
collaborations between the two labs to answer questions on areas ranging
from the breadth and composition of the universe to topics closer to home,
such as the properties of advanced materials.

³As world leaders in subatomic physics, TRIUMF and KEK have forged an
extraordinary collaboration that continues to unlock new opportunities to
advance this important field,² said The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister
of Science in Canada. ³I congratulate both organizations on this new
milestone and wait in anticipation to see the strides in fundamental
research that will undoubtedly come out of this new era of innovation and
partnership between our two countries.²

"For decades, TRIUMF and KEK have been recognized internationally in the
areas of subatomic physics, accelerator science and materials science,² said
KEK Director General Dr. Masanori Yamauchi. ³Through our growing
partnership, we will continue to be global leaders in advancing these areas
of research, as well acting as pillars of scientific co-operation.²

³The opening of this new branch office represents not just a strengthening
of the partnership between TRIUMF and KEK, but also the importance of
collaboration on the global scale,² said Dr. Jonathan Bagger, TRIUMF
Director. ³I look forward to the leaps that TRIUMF and KEK will make
together to advance discovery and innovation at home and abroad.²

TRIUMF and KEK have numerous shared projects in the areas of subatomic
physics, accelerator science, and materials science. Current efforts include
the T2K <http://t2k-experiment.org/>  and Belle II experiments in Japan,
<https://www.belle2.org/>  the Large Hadron Collider at CERN
<http://home.cern/topics/large-hadron-collider> , and the proposed
International Linear Collider <https://www.linearcollider.org/ILC>  The hope
of this new office and indeed the new partnership agreement is to advance
scientific discovery through enhanced bilateral collaboration.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

 Carla Rodrigo

Communications Assistant

TRIUMF

communications at triumf.ca

+1.604.222.7501

Saeko Okada

Head of Communication

High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK)

press at kek.jp

+81.029.879.6046

ABOUT TRIUMF

TRIUMF <http://www.triumf.ca>  is Canada¹s national laboratory for particle
nuclear physics and accelerator-based science.We are an international centre
for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and
interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. Owned and
operated by a university consortium, TRIUMF trains and inspires future
leaders in science and technology. Our laboratory is a hub for inquiry and
ingenuity, a Canadian centre of excellence deeply integrated into the global
scientific community. TRIUMF¹s multidisciplinary team of over 500 staff and
trainees collaborates with Canadian and international users who visit the
laboratory to leverage our world-class facilities. Together, we drive
compelling research and develop ideas and innovations that benefit humanity.
www.triumf.ca <http://www.triumf.ca>

Connect with TRIUMF on Twitter <https://twitter.com/TRIUMFLab> , Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/TRIUMFLab> , and Instagram
<http://www.instagram.com/TRIUMFLab> : TRIUMFLab

ABOUT KEK

KEK <https://www.kek.jp/en/index.html>  is one of the world's leading
accelerator science research laboratories covering broad fields of sciences
from particle physics to material structure science, using high-energy
particle beams and synchrotron light sources. With its state-of-the-art
accelerators, KEK is advancing our understanding of the universe that
surrounds us, its mechanisms and their control. As a center of excellence
that promotes collaborative research, KEK is taking a major role
implementing the Belle II project, the T2K experiment and materials and
molecules research conducted at the Photon Factory (PF) and J-PARC as well.
Over 600 scientists, engineers, students and staff perform research
activities on the Tsukuba and Tokai campuses. KEK attracts nearly 10,000
national and international researchers every year (person), and provides
excellent research facilities and opportunities to many students and
post-doctoral fellows each year. http://www.kek.jp/en/
<http://www.kek.jp/en/>

Connect with KEK on Twitter <https://twitter.com/kek_en> : KEK_en

Carla Rodrigo