[News-releases] TRIUMF Welcomes New Associate Laboratory Director to lead its Accelerator Division

Nic Zdunich nzdunich at triumf.ca
Fri May 27 09:44:24 PDT 2016

TRIUMF Welcomes New Associate Laboratory Director to lead its Accelerator
Division

May 27, 2016, Vancouver, Canada ‹ TRIUMF is pleased to announce that Dr.
Oliver Kester will become Associate Laboratory Director for its Accelerator
Division (ALD-Accelerator Division), effective September, 2016.
As ALD-Accelerator Division, Kester will assume overall responsibility for
the safe, effective, and reliable operation of all accelerator facilities at
TRIUMF, for construction of the ARIEL project, and for advancing accelerator
research.
An accomplished accelerator physicist and scientific leader, Kester is
currently Professor at Goethe-Universität Frankfurt and Director of FAIR at GSI
<http://www.fair-center.eu/> . FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion
Research) is a new international accelerator facility under construction in
Darmstadt, Germany. Prior to this, he held faculty and administrative
positions in Europe and North America, at centres including CERN,
Universität München, and Michigan State University. He holds a PhD in
physics from Goethe-Universität Frankfurt. Kester¹s current research
interests relate to the production
and transport of intense charged particle beams (ions and electrons),
accelerator cavity developments, beam instrumentation (non-destructive
diagnostic
s), and electron target development for heavy ion storage rings.
³From developing new accelerator and rare isotope beams for research, to
advancing the Division¹s research and education programs, I couldn¹t be more
thrilled to join TRIUMF at such an exciting time for accelerator science at
the laboratory,² said Kester. ³I am delighted to be joining such a talented
and outstanding team at TRIUMF. I look forward with excitement to working
with my new colleagues to delivering on the laboratories vision and
harnessing TRIUMF¹s unique and world-leading capabilities in accelerator
science.²
 ³Oliver Kester is an exceptionally talented, creative, and experienced
accelerator scientist, as well as an accomplished leader and administrator.
We¹re thrilled that he¹s chosen to join TRIUMF,² said the laboratory¹s
Director Dr. Jonathan Bagger. ³We are looking forward to working with him to
realize the unique capabilities of our ISAC facility as we prepare to triple
our scientific capacity with the completion of our flagship ARIEL project.²
Kester¹s appointment begins on September 12, 2016.

For More Information, Contact:
Lisa Lambert
Head, Strategic Communications
TRIUMF <http://www.triumf.ca>
lisa at triumf.ca <mailto:lisa at triumf.ca>
+1.604.222.7356

About TRIUMF:

TRIUMF <http://www.triumf.ca>  is Canada¹s national laboratory for particle
nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international
centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and
interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. Owned and
operated by a university consortium, TRIUMF trains and inspires future
leaders in science and technology. Our laboratory is a hub for inquiry and
ingenuity, a Canadian centre of excellence deeply integrated into the global
scientific community. TRIUMF¹s multidisciplinary team of over 500 staff and
trainees collaborates with Canadian and international users who visit the
laboratory to leverage our world-class facilities. Together, we drive
compelling research and develop ideas and innovations that benefit humanity.
www.triumf.ca <http://www.triumf.ca>

Connect with TRIUMF on Twitter <https://twitter.com/TRIUMFLab> , Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/TRIUMFLab> , and Instagram
<http://www.instagram.com/TRIUMFLab> : TRIUMFLab