[Particle-physics-affiliated] [Particle-physics-baes] Commenting and Rehearsal sessions for PP IPR

Isabel Trigger itrigger at triumf.ca
Sun Nov 4 09:52:30 PST 2018

Dear all,

ALL slides are now available for comment, as of last night. Please take a look at them and send comments to the speakers, preferably by the end of Monday (tomorrow) for Justine and the end of Tuesday for everyone else.

Thanks,
Isabel

REMINDER - speakers, please post your slides on the indico agenda today https://indico.triumf.ca/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=2420 accessible with the password “triumf_ipr”, even if you are still refining them (Thank you to those of you who already have posted). You can always upload new versions if you have improvements or corrections (though please indicate this on the title page if you do anything that affects slide numbers, so you can figure out what version people were commenting on).

Everyone is invited to look at the draft talks and send comments to the speakers in good time for them to implement them before the rehearsal talks on the 6th and 7th. Comments at the rehearsal talks should be focused on what the speakers SAY and how they say it - they do not have time to make major changes to the slides after the rehearsal talks.

Speakers, please check before the rehearsal that you are able to go through all your slides and say what you need to say in the time allocated (the instructions to the session chairs were basically “be ruthless with timekeeping”).

Thanks!
Isabel

Dear colleagues,

This is a reminder to speakers for the IPR particle physics parallel session that they are requested to upload a draft of their slides to the practice session agenda: https://indico.triumf.ca/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=2420 accessible with the password “triumf_ipr” by the end of tomorrow, October 31st. After that, everyone is invited to look at the slides and make any suggestions that will help the speakers to "focus on science, universities (and international), and HQP, where appropriate, however without explicitly stating the IPR questions.”

The main practice session will be in the auditorium from 13:45 to about 15:30 on Wednesday November 7th. We will also broadcast it on Vidyo (https://vidyoportal.cern.ch/join/dRcqulVXvcWZ  ) for people who can’t make it in person.

There will be an EARLIER practice session for Justine’s talk the day before on November 6th, probably at 11 am (8 pm at CERN - Justine, Makoto, please confirm that works!) This will be Vidyo-only, https://vidyoportal.cern.ch/join/dRcqulVXvcWZ.

Below, I have cut and pasted the most relevant bits of information from the various sources previously forwarded:

Please note that TRIUMF speakers should use the TRIUMF power point template:
https://www.triumf.ca/home/for-media/publicationsgallery/style-guide/templates#powerpoint-template
Speakers from other organizations should use their organization’s template, unless they want to use the TRIUMF template.

The IPR questions are:

1. Is TRIUMF a world-class platform for research excellence?
a. Is there a need for TRIUMF?
b. To what extent is TRIUMF a leader in scientific excellence in particle and nuclear physics and related fields, including nuclear medicine and accelerator science?
c. To what extent has Canada’s participation in TRIUMF connected Canada to the world in TRIUMF-related fields?
2. To what extent has TRIUMF been a benefit to Canadian universities (i.e. universities have leveraged TRIUMF)?
3. Has TRIUMF been administered and delivered in an economic and efficient manner?
a. Has the NRC demonstrated sound stewardship of resources?
b. Have any governance issues been dealt with appropriately?
4. Is TRIUMF’s proposed 5-year plan appropriate to ensure the continued relevance and success of TRIUMF?
5. Are there external factors that have an impact on the effectiveness of TRIUMF?

Main Particle Physics talking points from “high level messages”:
TRIUMF enables research excellence across disciplines….
Particle Physics

•      TRIUMF scientists are making leading contributions to forefront experimental and theoretical particle physics, advancing our understanding of the origin and evolution of the Universe

•      TRIUMF is fully embedded in the Canadian and international particle physics community and is Canada’s hub for collaboration and knowledge exchange

•      Through the ATLAS Tier-1 data centre and via key detector contributions, TRIUMF enables Canadian researchers to play critical roles in international collaborations

•      TRIUMF’s unique accelerator infrastructure attracted Canadian and Japanese funding to construct a world-class next-generation Ultra Cold Neutron source

Thanks to all for your help with this session,
Isabel