TRIUMF Junior Research Symposium

SGSPD Committee sgspd at triumf.ca
Tue Jun 9 13:31:08 PDT 2015

Dear grad students and postdocs,

The TRIUMF Junior Research Symposium will be held this *Thursday*, *June
11* beginning at *9:00 AM*.

We have a great lineup of speakers reflecting a wide range of the
physics being done at TRIUMF. Many of you have told us that you would
like to see more internal talks, and this symposium provides a great
opportunity to learn about the work being done by your colleagues. And
if science and camaraderie isn't enough to motivate you, we've got free
coffee and cookies before each session.

The schedule is given below and in the attached flyer.

See you there (bright and early),
Your SGSPD comittee

Session 1: Nuclear physics (09:00 - 10:30)
Judges: Greg Hackman, Colin Morton, Marcello Pavan

9:00   Jeff Bale - "Development and simulations of the CANREB RFQ
buncher and cooler at the TRIUMF facility"
9:18   Brian Kootte - "Cooling Highly Charged Ions"
9:36   Jenna Smith - "Beta-decay from 47K to 47Ca with Griffin"
9:54   Lee Evitts - "Electric monopole transition strengths in 62Ni"
10:12 Jason Park - "Isomeric decay spectroscopy of 96Cd"

Coffee break 10:30-10:45

Session 2: Particle physics (10:45 - 11:55)
Judges: David Morrissey, Isabel Trigger

10:45   Sebastien Rettie - "Test beam performance measurements of novel
thin gap detectors for the ATLAS experiment upgrade"
11:03   Travis Martin - "Before and After - Consequences of the Higgs
Discovery"
11:36   Ben Smith - "Trigger development for the DEAP-3600 dark matter
experiement"