GAPS Postdoc Lecture Series Call for Postdocs

GAPS gaps at triumf.ca
Mon Sep 25 14:27:58 PDT 2017

Hello all.
The Postdoc Lecture Series (PLS) will be running again this year and is
calling upon postdocs to be lecturers.

For anyone unfamiliar, PLS was founded by GAPS to address and ameliorate
the lack of advanced physics courses at the lab, thus serving a dual
purpose:
a) to provide postdocs at TRIUMF the opportunity to obtain experience in
planing and teaching a course, which is often an important prerequisite
for one's career development going forward (and is also an interesting,
challenging, and surprising experience)
b) to provide students and postdocs stationed at TRIUMF the chance to
learn topics of interest from experts in the field. This is especially
beneficial for the many students from out of town.

Postdocs can volunteer to teach a topic of their choice, typically related
to one's research (not something that you would need to start learning
yourself). Each course should cover enough material to fill 6-10 hours,
where that time may be broken down however the lecturer see fit (e.g., 6
one-hour lectures). We ask that the level of the course be targeted to a
first year graduate student. We expect lectures to being in late spring or
early summer of 2018, but we will reconfirm with lecturers mid winter.

If you are interested in teaching please reply to this E-mail along with
any topic or topics you would like to teach.

Regards,
Your GAPS Committee.