Tax season again
gaps at triumf.ca
Thu Apr 11 18:55:52 PDT 2019
Just a reminder that Taxes are due soon!
See below for a bit of information regarding taxes!
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 4:26:03 PM
Subject: Tax season again
Dear GAPS members,
We're a little late this year, but GAPS wants to remind you that tax season is upon us once again! April 30, 2019 is the deadline for most Canadian income tax and benefit returns for 2018.
This can be a confusing time, especially if you haven’t dealt with the Canadian tax system before. We have a few suggestions to get you started.
* Overview from the Government of Canada: <https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/taxes-get-ready.html> https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/taxes-get-ready.html
* Although it includes some UBC-specific parts, this page breaks things down nicely and includes descriptions of what counts as taxable income and what tax slips you should receive: https://finance.ubc.ca/payroll/your-taxes
* Several tax software options exist to help you file your taxes. A popular one is Intuit Turbo Tax software, which is free to download and fairly user-friendly (https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/index.jsp). Another web-based option is Simple Tax, https://simpletax.ca/, which works in your web browser and is also free.
* If you need some in-person help, H&R Block (https://www.hrblock.ca/file-in-an-office/) has several offices in Vancouver. For a fee, you can make an appointment with one of their tax experts. They’ll sit down with you (bring your receipts!) to help you file. They also offer student rates.
* If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, you may be able to take advantage of volunteers at a free tax preparation clinic. Find out if you’re eligible: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/community-volunteer-income-tax-program.html. Clinics near you: https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/oecv/external/prot/cli_srch_01_ld.action
— Your GAPS
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the postdocs