FW: [IsoSiM-all] IsoSiM workshop: Managing Unpredictability

Science Division Shared Account sciencediv at triumf.ca
Fri Nov 29 11:41:38 PST 2019

Hi all,

Please see below from Monika for your consideration.

Allayne McGowan
Administrative Assistant – Physical Sciences Division
t   604-222-7438
amcgowan at triumf.ca<mailto:amcgowan at triumf.ca>
sciencediv at triumf.ca<mailto:sciencediv at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada’s particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monika Stachura <mstachura at triumf.ca<mailto:mstachura at triumf.ca>>
Subject: [IsoSiM-all] IsoSiM workshop: Managing Unpredictability
Date: November 28, 2019 at 3:55:30 PM PST
To: "isosim-all at trmail.triumf.ca<mailto:isosim-all at trmail.triumf.ca>" <isosim-all at trmail.triumf.ca<mailto:isosim-all at trmail.triumf.ca>>
Cc: Marcello Pavan <marcello at triumf.ca<mailto:marcello at triumf.ca>>

Hi everyone,

In two weeks time we will host Alan Shapiro for another workshop at TRIUMF - mark your calendars! In order to register for this workshop, please send me an email (mstachura at triumf.ca<mailto:mstachura at triumf.ca>). this workshop is free of charge and open for everyone in the lab so please pass the message along. In a week from now, we will send an invitation to UBC grad school and other CREATE programs. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.

What: IsoSiM workshop - Managing Unpredictability
When: Friday, Dec 13th, 2pm - 5pm, TRIUMF Auditorium

Managing Unpredictability

Graduate school is stressful, and much of that stress is unfortunately driven by factors outside your control. This workshop will help you work on one manageable aspect of stress – unpredictability, whether in the context of unpredictable questions, unpredictable conversations, or otherwise. The workshop will draw on exercises and strategies around three improv themes: going with the flow, changing the stakes, and committing and failing. This is an active workshop, so come prepared to engage, move around, and push your comfort zone.

Alan Shapiro is a Vancouver-based environmental professional and science communicator with a particular interest in water issues. He is a science communication and sustainability instructor at SFU and BCIT, Scientific Communications Manager at STEMCELL Technologies, and co-founder of the non-profit Science Slam Canada. Alan has taught workshops and given talks on effective communication to students, researchers, and professionals across Canada.

regards,
Monika
*******************************
Dr. Monika Stachura

Research Scientist, Life Sciences Division, TRIUMF
IsoSiM Program Coordinator, TRIUMF

TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver BC, V6T 2A3