Fw: Message to GAPS community

Gaps gaps at triumf.ca
Tue Jul 7 11:00:48 PDT 2020

Hello Everyone,

Please see below the email from Reiner regarding any pressure that you may feel in returning to TRIUMF.

  -Your GAPS

________________________________

Dear TRIUMF graduate students and postdocs,

I hope you and your families are well.

As you know, we have been ramping up on-site research with a focus on those activities that cannot be done remotely while everyone who can continues to work from home. Soon TRIUMF will bring back on site  at some level, also people who have been only working from home. This will be managed in a way that ensures everyone’s health and safety while observing occupancy limits within the lab.

I am well aware that many of you want to be back on site at least intermittently for your research activities, while others may feel less confident about their return to TRIUMF. Rest assured that we are doing everything reasonably possible to maintain a safe work environment at TRIUMF. I recognize, however, that this may not alleviate everyone’s concerns.  Moreover, I recognize that some may feel under pressure to advance their research objectives as soon as possible, having potentially lost some time due to the current situation.

Without question, it is not acceptable for anyone to be pushed into a working situation where they feel their health is put at risk. If you feel that such undue pressure is put on you, e.g. by your supervisor or anyone else, please raise the issue directly with me, the GAPS Liaison Scientist, Monika Stachura, or the Head of the Academics Programs and Users Office, Marcello Pavan without delay.

Your communication will be treated confidential, and any follow-up action will be coordinated in close consultation with you - for example if a mediation with a supervisor is deemed necessary.  I also would like to make you aware that all graduate students and those postdocs connected to a university have the possibility to reach out to their home department or faculty.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns you might have.

Wishing you all the best,

Reiner

Dr. Reiner Kruecken

Deputy Director, Research

TRIUMF

Professor of Physics

University of British Columbia

t 604.222.7365

reinerk at triumf.ca<mailto:reinerk at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada’s particle accelerator centre

www.triumf.ca<https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.triumf.ca%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cgaps%40triumf.ca%7C901c9583875d4a78da4408d8222b4bb8%7Cc20535109cb34679a2d38f442e03b587%7C1%7C0%7C637296916629671384&sdata=eJ62e9lQ8EKJUcuWLGEUaP2e222SLKEfcHmG8%2FCI0Xg%3D&reserved=0> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall

Vancouver BC V6T 2A3 Canada