Support for GAPS community working from home (from Reiner)

Gaps gaps at triumf.ca
Fri May 22 13:10:19 PDT 2020

Dear TRIUMF graduate students and postdocs,

I hope you and your families are well despite the challenging circumstances.

As you have heard during the recent Town Halls, we are preparing to ramp up some on-site research activities starting in June. Daniel Yates is acting as GAPS representative on the working group for Research Ramp-Up to make sure your perspectives, needs  and concerns are being considered in our deliberations. We will communicate more details on how this ramp up will proceed during the next week.

However, one aspect that is clear at this time is that we will start by only allowing those people to the TRIUMF site who cannot do their work remotely.  We expect that this constraint will be in place for some time. Thus, a significant portion of you will have to continue working from home for a while.

Preparations are under way to enable the research work that will be restarting on the TRIUMF site in a way that ensures everyone’s health and safety. Please look out for communications on this as well.

The GAPS committee has communicated to TRIUMF the need for some graduate students and postdocs to borrow office equipment to better enable working from home.

Today, I would like to let you know that starting immediately, the divisions will at their discretion allow some computing equipment as well as office chairs to be borrowed by their graduate students and postdocs. Desks are unfortunately not an option.

It took us some time to work out the particulars since we have no systems in place to comprehensively track equipment leaving the site. Thank you for your patience.

The Physical Sciences Division will provide further instruction shortly in a separate communication identifying the contacts in the various departments and the process to request support.

Silke Bergelt-Bruckner will be the contact person for students and postdocs in the Accelerator Division.

Gloria Bothelo will be contact the person for students and postdocs the Life Sciences Division.

Please reach out to your respective contacts to inform them of your needs and to make arrangements to borrow the equipment.

We have also been made aware of the fact that some of you have already purchased some computing accessories (keyboard, mouse, etc.) and we have set up a fund  for graduate students from which a reimbursement  for such computing accessories can be requested for a value of up to $100 per person. Please scan your receipts for such items together with a completed ‘Request for Payment’ form<https://documents.triumf.ca/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-24955/Request%20for%20Payment%20-%20Document-24955%20-%20Rel%202%20-%20fillable.pdf> and submit this to me (reinerk at triumf.ca<mailto:reinerk at triumf.ca>) for completion of the account information and approval.

I know these initiatives do not solve all problems but I hope that they go some way towards improving your ability  to work from home for an extended period of time.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns you might have, either related to the initiatives above or about coming back to site.

Wishing you all the best,

Reiner

Dr. Reiner Kruecken

Deputy Director, Research

TRIUMF

Professor of Physics

University of British Columbia

t 604.222.7365

reinerk at triumf.ca<mailto:reinerk at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada’s particle accelerator centre

www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca/> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall

Vancouver BC V6T 2A3 Canada