[Triumf-journal-club] Journal Club Monday, March 6

Richard H. Cyburt cyburt@triumf.ca
Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:23:30 -0800

Hi All,

Just wanted to report on our next Journal club.  Dieter Frekers has
volunteered to discuss the paper he mentioned at out last meeting.

Noon in the MainOffice 2nd floor Boardroom

"Experimental observation of optical rotation generated in vacuum by a
magnetic field"
Zavattini et al.
hep-ex/0507107

"We report the experimental observation of a light polarization rotation
in vacuum in the presence of a transverse magnetic field. Assuming that
data distribution is Gaussian, the average measured rotation is
(3.9+/-0.5)e-12 rad/pass, at 5 T with 44000 passes through a 1m long
magnet, with lambda = 1064 nm. The relevance of this result in terms of
the existence of a light, neutral, spin-zero particle is discussed."

As always, be sure to bring your lunch, news and rumors.  This includes
paper suggestions and volunteers for journal club.

--
Richard H. Cyburt
Research Associate