[Triumf-linux-users] [Triumf-linux-managers] Question about time synchronization

Isabel Trigger itrigger at triumf.ca
Sat Oct 4 07:43:13 PDT 2014

Hello,

Since we have this list, maybe it’s an appropriate forum to ask if anyone else has seen this problem, which has started occurring on one (and only one) of our group’s servers in the last few days. We get the following error message:

> kinit
Password for itrigger at CERN.CH:
kinit: Clock skew too great while getting initial credentials

A Google search suggests this should only occur if our time is out by more than 5 minutes from the time on the Kerberos server. Which doesn’t seem possible, since we have the same time on all our clients within at most a fraction of a second (all use ntpd and sync to the usual TRIUMF time servers), and the others have no problem getting credentials. Increasing the verbosity of kinit did not tell me anything useful.

> kinit -V
Using default cache: /tmp/krb5cc_3454
Using principal: itrigger at CERN.CH
Password for itrigger at CERN.CH:
kinit: Clock skew too great while getting initial credentials

I tried “service ntpd stop; ntpdate time1.triumf.ca; service ntpd start” but it didn’t fix anything.

What else can I check?

thanks
Isabel