[Triumf-linux-users] Dec 11 yum updates and broken X server

Frederick Jones fwj at triumf.ca
Mon Dec 12 12:31:36 PST 2016

Hi,
On my SL6.8 workstation the Xorg server has stopped working
properly.  I have not logged out or rebooted the machine,
but OpenGL applications stopped working as of yesterday.
The applications fail with "could not get .... visual"
where .... is single buffer, double buffer, required, GLX,
etc.  But xdpyinfo indicates that the X server does
have the GLX extensions installed.
The glxinfo also fails: could not find RGB visual or fbconfig.

Checking in the yum.log:

Dec 11 04:07:56 Updated: kmod-nvidia-375.20-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
Dec 11 04:08)07 Updated: nvidia-x11-drv-375.20-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64

There were many previous updates of these packages that did not
cause any problem.

Since the Xorg process has been running for months, I assume that
these updates have screwed up some shared libraries that are loaded
by the applications at run time.  Logging in via Nx to start a
different session (with its own new Xorg) does not help -- messages are
the same.

Does anybody else have this problem and/or know how to fix it?
The packages are listed as installed but is a reboot required
to put things right?

Thanks,
Fred