[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Walking and Running Group - Week of Jan 4, 2016

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Sun Jan 3 23:38:04 PST 2016

Hi Everyone,

It is that time of year for self assessment and setting goals. Making
adjustments to improve health typically tops everyone's list. There are
so many choices available. I encourage everyone to find some form of
regular exercise and to start doing it now. If walking, jogging, or
running interests you then do participate in our weekly noon hour
sessions. Everyone is welcome to join us.

*Sun Run Info* - This should be ready by next week

*Creating a training plan to Learn to Run or to Learn to Run Faster*
All of us have unique requirements that need to be taken into
consideration when figuring out how to get started in running or how to
improve. Creating a training plan that suits you depends on your fitness
level now, the time you can commit, and what you hope to achieve. Over
the next few weeks, I will provide you with a few different training
plan examples which you may find useful.
If you would like some feedback on how you may achieve your running
goals, we can get together for a chat over a coffee or at lunch time.
Some other members of our group can also offer good feedback to you.

*Training this week*

*Tuesday - Jan 5, 2015* - Reverse ladder workout
Meet at 12:00 outside the badge room

Runners

  * easy warm up jog to west end of Imperial Trail
  * dynamic stretching
  * 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 minute runs near 10K race pace with 1 minute rests
    between each run. Do run these at your pace. Don't try to go at
    someone else's pace.
  * warm down jog back to TRIUMF
  * stretching at TRIUMF

Walkers and Walk/runners

  * walk to the above destination (this can be modified)
  * stretching
  * power walking or jogging for each
  * back to TRIUMF
  * stretching at TRIUMF

*Thursday Jan 7, 2016* - 45 minute tempo run. Route will be determined
at start time.
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  * 10 min at an easy pace
  * Runners: for 25 minutes, gradually increase from an easy pace to a
    faster pace near the end and switching direction at 12.5 minutes.
  * For walkers/joggers: alternating paces for 25 minutes.
  * 10 min easy pace back to TRIUMF
  * post run stretching

Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
If you prefer to not receive these emails, you can remove yourself by
visiting http://lists.triumf.ca/mailman/listinfo/triumf-running
Our Group's webpages:
http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

<mailto:watt at triumf.ca>