[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Walking and Running Group - Week of Sept 19, 2016

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Mon Sep 19 13:34:03 PDT 2016

Hi Everyone,*

*I have come back from vacation and am looking forward to seeing you on
our runs. There continue to be many running events around the lower
mainland through out the fall. For a bit of variation you may consider
trying cross country running. This is great for building strength and it
is fun. This BC Athletics site provides a listing of all such events
around BC.
http://www.bcathletics.org/CrossCountryTrails/CalendarResults/. This
Sunday, the Vancouver Spirit Run will happen in Jericho park. Perhaps I
will see some of you there.*

**This week's topic: Staying comfortable and safe*

With summer nearly gone and with shorter and wetter days ahead, it is a
good time to looks at your running gear and see if you need to update.
If you plan to run in the dark, do get a light such as a headlamp. If
you will be crossing roads, make sure you can be seen with reflective
apparel and lighting that can be seen from any direction. Be prepared to
layer up. There are some great base layers that keep you feeling warmer.
Cotton should be avoided. A thin toque and light gloves make the cold
days much more comfortable. Check the condition of your running shoes.
Worn out soles may not be noticeable in dry weather but you may be
slipping a lot in the wet. Safety and comfort are very important so be
prepared.
I hope to see you on the Tuesday and Thursday runs/walks even if it is
raining.*
*
*Tuesday - Sept 20**, 2016* - Hill repeats on Huckleberry
Meet at 12:00 outside the badge room

Runners

  * easy warm up jog to the junction of Huckleberry and Hemlock trails
  * dynamic stretching
  * 8 hill repeats with easy runs back down between each repeat.
  * warm down jog back to TRIUMF
  * stretching at TRIUMF

Walkers and walk/runners

  * Walk or jog to the same location
  * Mixed walk, jog, or run and the same hill - If you are unsure of
    effort levels, do ask.
  * Walk or alternate walk/jog back to TRIUMF
  * Stretch at TRIUMF

*Thursday Sept 22, 2016* - 45 minute tempo run or walk or walk/run.
Route will be determined at start time.
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  * 10 minute easy run as a group and then for 25 minutes, gradually
    increase from an easy pace to a faster pace near the end and
    switching direction at the mid-way time. After 25 minutes, collect
    the group back together, and then do an easy run back to TRIUMF.
  *   Stretching for everyone.

Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
If you prefer to not receive these emails, you can remove yourself by
visiting http://lists.triumf.ca/mailman/listinfo/triumf-running
Our Group's webpages:
http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,