[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Running Group - Week of July 24, 2017

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Mon Jul 24 13:40:24 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

It is great to see the expanding interest and participation with the
TRIUMF Running Group. I have been feeling the enthusiasm that all of you
are bringing to the sessions and this is making them more enjoyable. I
didn't think that would be possible.  Keep on encouraging other to join
us. We all know of the huge benefits this activity provides so spreading
the word is good for TRIUMF.*
*
**TRIUMF Stretch and Strength Classes
**Good News! Beatrice Frank has shifted some of the TRIUMF Stretch and
Strength classes to Wednesdays in August. This is a fantastic activity
which complements running activities. It improves core strength, reduces
risk of injuries, and improves running form. I strongly recommended
adding this type of activity to your health-improving routines. See
http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-stretch-strength*.
**
**Training this Week
Tuesday July 25**, 2017* - Hills
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

For walkers

  * Walk to the junction of Hemlock and Huckleberry Trails
  * Do some dynamic stretches.
  * Walk up and down the hill several times. Try to bring the heart rate up.
  * Walk back to TRIUMF
  * Consider doing some static stretching after the walk.

For runners

  * Jog to the junction of Hemlock and Huckleberry Trails. We may split
    into warm-up groups depending on who joins us
  * dynamic stretching - everyone together
  * Do 8 or 10 hill repeats. Hard run uphill and easy jog down.
  * easy jog back to TRIUMF
  * static stretching

*Thursday July 27, 2017* -  tempo run or a longer walk
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

For walkers

  * Make a plan for a route in the forest - need at least 2 people. The
    Council Trail route is preferred.
  * Maintain a moderate pace for the entire 30 or 45 minute walk
  * Static stretching

For runners

  * Easy run for 10 minutes. We may split into a few warm up groups.
  * Gradually increase the effort for the next 12.5 minutes, turn back
    and continue to increase the effort until you are running at 10K
    pace at the 35 minute mark.
  * Jog back to TRIUMF at a comfortable recovery pace.
  * Static stretching for everyone.

*Weekend runs*
You will find much benefit from doing a long run once per week.
Generally, the pace is slow. The important aspect of this run is the
amount of time you put in. Any time over one hour is the beneficial
period. If you have not been doing these this year, then start with
shorter times and build up each week. Limit the week to week increases
to 10%. Once you have progressed to 1 1/2 hours, add in fast finish runs
where you run the last 20 minutes at a half marathon pace.

*Alternate run days or do cross training*
If you want to run more than 3 days a week, do treat the extra runs as
recovery runs.
Consider doing strength training. There are many routines designed for
runners. Cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, are great cross training
activities. Basically, keep as active as possible without hurting yourself.

Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
If you prefer to not receive these emails, you can remove yourself by
visiting http://lists.triumf.ca/mailman/listinfo/triumf-running
Our Group's webpages:
http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,