[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Running Group - Week of May 1, 2017

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Mon May 1 13:56:22 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

*The next training session starts now - SummerFast**
*
Now that training for the Sun Run is behind us, it is time to set
another goal. Perhaps you have identified some running related event you
plan to attend soon. If not, do consider signing up for the Summerfast
10k race scheduled for July 15th. This is a race through Stanley Park
and around the seawall. With just over 10 weeks to go, now is a good
time to start training for it. I will be planning our weekly running
group workouts to provide a build up to it. You can expect mix of longer
repeats, track work, short repeats, and tempo runs to help you get
stronger for a 10k run. *
*
I will create a TRIUMF team which you can select when signing up for
Summerfast*

Note: *You can do these workouts at efforts that suit you. You don't
have to push hard. We will always re-group during the repeats so that
everyone stays in contact and no one gets left behind.*
**
*
*Training this Week
Tuesday May 2**, 2017* - Track day
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  * jog to the track
  * dynamic stretching
  * 3 x 800, 3 x 400, 2 x 200 at 10k pace with 1 minute rests
  * easy jog back to TRIUMF
  * stretching

*Thursday May 4, 2017* - Split tempo run
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  * Easy run for 10 minutes
  * Then 10 minutes at slightly slower than 10k pace for split 1 and
    then easy pace for 5 minutes. For split 2 go 10 minutes at a harder
    effort than split 1.
  * Jog back to TRIUMF
  * Stretching for everyone.

*Weekend runs*
You will find much benefit from doing a long run once per week.
Generally, the pace is slow. The important aspect of this run is the
amount of time you put in. Any time over one hour is the benefit time.
If you have not been doing these this year, then start with shorter
times and build up each week. Limit the week to week increases to 10%.
Once you have progressed to 1 1/2 hours, add in fast finish runs where
you run the last 20 minutes at a half marathon pace.

*Alternate run days or cross training*
If you want to run more than 3 days a week, do treat the extra runs as
recovery runs. Also consider doing strength training. There are many
routines designed for runners. Cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, are
great cross training activities. Basically, keep as active as possible
without hurting yourself.

Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
If you prefer to not receive these emails, you can remove yourself by
visiting http://lists.triumf.ca/mailman/listinfo/triumf-running
Our Group's webpages:
http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,