[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Running Group - Week of May 29, 2017

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Fri May 26 13:21:30 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

*Some positive changes for the Running and Walking Group*

After receiving some great feedback from some of our runners, I will be
making changes to the Tuesday and Thursday sessions. The warm up and
cool down portions will be split into groups so the people can go at a
pace that is best for them. These portions should be done at an easy pace.
The work out portion will also be split into groups so that people of
similar experience can run together.
I also want to invite and welcome more walkers to attend these sessions.
People who wish to walk can meet at our usual start location outside the
Badge room and then set out together for a good walk. People thinking of
transitioning to running can gradually shift between the walking and
running groups.

I am looking forward to seeing more people out and enjoying these sessions.
*
****Training this Week
Tuesday May 30**, 2017* - Pyramid workout and forest walk
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

For walkers - need at least two people

  * Depending on your schedule, do a 30 or 45 minute walk with at least
    10 minutes of brisk walking in the middle.
  * I suggest walking along Imperial trail where the runners will be.
  * Consider doing some static stretching after the walk.

For runners

  * jog to the west end of Imperial trail with the pace group that is
    right for you
  * dynamic stretching - everyone together
  * Pyramid workout: 2, 3, 4, 6, 4, 2 minute runs at 10K pace with 1
    minute easy between each interval
  * easy jog back to TRIUMF
  * static stretching

*Thursday June 1, 2017* -  tempo run or a longer walk
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

For walkers

  * Make a plan for a route in the forest - need at least 2 people.
  * Maintain a moderate pace for the entire 30 or 45 minute walk
  * Static stretching

For runners

  * Easy run for 10 minutes
  * Gradually increase the effort for the next 12.5 minutes, turn back
    and continue to increase the effort until you are running at 10K
    pace at the 35 minute mark.
  * Jog back to TRIUMF.
  * Static stretching for everyone.

*Weekend runs*
You will find much benefit from doing a long run once per week.
Generally, the pace is slow. The important aspect of this run is the
amount of time you put in. Any time over one hour is the benefit time.
If you have not been doing these this year, then start with shorter
times and build up each week. Limit the week to week increases to 10%.
Once you have progressed to 1 1/2 hours, add in fast finish runs where
you run the last 20 minutes at a half marathon pace.

*Alternate run days or do cross training*
If you want to run more than 3 days a week, do treat the extra runs as
recovery runs.
Consider doing strength training. There are many routines designed for
runners. Cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, are great cross training
activities. Basically, keep as active as possible without hurting yourself.

Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
If you prefer to not receive these emails, you can remove yourself by
visiting http://lists.triumf.ca/mailman/listinfo/triumf-running
Our Group's webpages:
http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,