[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Running Group - Week of Feb 19, 2018

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Mon Feb 19 22:38:38 PST 2018

Hi Everyone,

Cooler Temperatures.
This week's runs will be colder than normal. If you can join us do remember to wear extra layers and cover up the hands and head. I checked out the forest trails on Monday and they are in fair shape. Certainly fine for easy running. With that I mind I am suggesting we hold off on the speed work on Tuesday and enjoy the snow scenes in the forest.  We may do some short stride work but that will still keep it an easy run.

Benefits of Strides.
Strides are often used as part of the warm up prior to running a race or as part of the warm down after a work out. They get the hamstrings and glutes firing and adjusted to the race pace. They are an excellent recovery exercise after hamstring injuries. It starts to re-introduce the muscles to the contractions without taking on a heavy load. They are also good for race preparations a few days out from an event or they are good anytime you feel like running but not doing a hard workout. This serves as a reminder of how your muscles and joints need to move during a tough workout or race but without breaking much of a sweat.

The process is simple. Once you are warmed up, start running at a faster pace which is a bit faster, somewhat faster, or much faster than your easy pace. Hold the pace as you count for 10 steps of your right foot then resume the easy pace. Wait a minute and then repeat. Do this as many times as you like. These are short strides. Long strides may last for 30 steps of the right foot. Going longer than this turns the effort into a short interval speed session which is not the goal. The idea is to move and activate the muscles and joints as you would in a race but without giving much effort. Overall it should remain as easy run.

Training this Week
Tuesday Feb 20, 2018 - Easy snow run in the forest with some short strides
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

For walkers

  *   The walk or walk/jog will depend on who shows up.
  *   Consider doing some static stretching after the walk.

For runners

  *   Easy run starting from TRIUMF
  *   In either one or two groups, go for a run adventure in the forest
  *   Once the group is warmed up, do intermittent 10 step strides. Repeat every minute until we have had enough.
  *   Return to TRIUMF for static stretching
Thursday Feb 22, 2018 -  tempo run or a longer walk on the out-and-back course - Weather will dictate route.
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

For walkers:

  *   Make a plan for a route - need at least 2 people. Rob can help you define a route.
  *   Maintain a moderate pace for the entire 30 or 45 minute walk
  *   Static stretching
For runners:

  *   Easy run for 10 minutes. We may split into a few warm up groups.
  *   Gradually increase your pace over the next 10 minutes to the point that you can still engage in short conversation but you are running moderately hard.
  *   At the halfway time turn direction to come back the same way.
  *   Maintain the pace up to the 35 minute mark.
  *   Regroup and jog back to TRIUMF.
  *   Static stretching for everyone.

Weekend runs
You will find much benefit from doing a long run once per week. Generally, the pace is slow. The important aspect of this run is the amount of time you put in. Any time over one hour is the beneficial period. If you have not been doing these this year, then start with shorter times and build up each week. Limit the week to week increases to 10%. Once you have progressed to 1 1/2 hours, add in fast finish runs where you run the last 20 minutes at a half marathon pace.

Alternate run days or do cross training
If you want to run more than 3 days a week, do treat the extra runs as recovery runs. You should be able to converse easily during these.
Consider doing strength training. There are many routines designed for runners. Cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, are great cross training activities. Basically, keep as active as possible without hurting yourself.
Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
Our Group's webpages: http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Watt
Group Leader IST Windows Team
t (604) 222.7477
watt at triumf.ca<mailto:watt at triumf.ca>
TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca>
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver BC V6T 2A3 Canada