[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Running Group - Week of July 8, 2019

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Mon Jul 8 12:17:59 PDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

This week we continue with the long interval training as we wrap up preparation for the Summerfast 10K race. Next week is an easy taper week.
You can still sign up for Summerfast at https://raceroster.com/events/2019/20288/2019-vfac-summerfast-10km. Make sure you select the TRUMF team during registration.

Training this Week
Tuesday July 9, 2019 - More long intervals
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  *   Jog to the eastt end of Imperial trail
  *   dynamic stretching
  *   Run 2, 2, and 1 mile at 10k effort with 2 minute rests. This is a longer workout so you can drop the last 1 mile loop if your time is limited.
  *   easy jog back to TRIUMF
  *   static stretching
Thursday July 11, 2019 -  Progression run
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  *   Easy run for 10 minutes.
  *   Increase your pace to moderate effort (marathon pace if you know it).
  *   For the next 25 minutes, increase your effort slightly every 5 minutes.
  *   At the halfway time, 22.5 minutes, reverse direction and head back the same way.
  *   After 35 minutes, regroup and jog back to TRIUMF.
  *   Static stretching for everyone.

Weekend runs - The long run with faster sections.
This week's long run should be 70 to 80 minutes long with 2 x 10 minutes at a harder effort near the end of the run. It's a good idea to take along something for hydration and energy.

Alternate run days or cross training
If you want to run more than 3 days a week, do treat the extra runs as recovery runs. You should be able to converse easily during these.
Cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, are great cross training activities. Basically, keep as active as possible without hurting yourself. The TRIUMF Strength and Stretch classes are an excellent complement to our training. Check out https://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-stretch-strength.
Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
Our Group's webpages: http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Watt
Group Leader - Information & Systems Technology Windows Team
t  604.222.7477
watt at triumf.ca<mailto:watt at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver BC V6T 2A3 Canada