[Triumf-running] TRIUMF Running Group - Week of May 20, 2019

Robert Watt watt at triumf.ca
Tue May 21 07:55:07 PDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

Summerfast 10K race on Saturday July 20, 2019.
I am hoping we can put together another strong TRIUMF team for this 10K event. When you sign up at this site, https://raceroster.com/events/2019/20288/2019-vfac-summerfast-10km, select the TRIUMF team. I am attempting to get a discount code which may save you a few dollars. You can email me if you want this and I will follow up when I get the code.

Shaughnessy 8k race
This coming Sunday May 26th there is an 8k race starting at the Kerrisdale Arena. This is challenging, rather hilly, yet enjoyable course. Info is at https://www.lgrr.com/shaughnessy.

Recovery Week
It's time to give your body a bit of a rest. Depending on your event schedule and how you have been training in the past few weeks, you may or may not need to take it easy this week. Typically, it is very beneficial to reduce the training load every 4 weeks to allow the body to rebuild. Next week we return to the harder workouts with 1km intervals

Training this Week
Tuesday May 21, 2019 - Easy week
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  *   Jog to the junction of Hemlock and Huckleberry trails
  *   dynamic stretching
  *   Run multiple times around the 1km loop. You can disperse some short strides through out. If you need a bit more intensity, do long strides throughout the easy run. Long strides involve accelerating to a fast pace and counting to 30 on each alternate step then return to an easy pace. Wait at least one minute before the next stride.
  *   easy jog back to TRIUMF
  *   static stretching
Thursday May 23, 2019 -  Easy run
Meet at 12:00 outside the Badge Room

  *   Easy run for 45 minutes.
  *   After 22.5 minutes of running, turn around and head back to TRIUMF on the same path.
  *   Static stretching for everyone.

Weekend runs - The long run with faster sections.
This week's long run should be an easy 60 to 70 minute run. You should be able to converse for the entire run.

Alternate run days or cross training
If you want to run more than 3 days a week, do treat the extra runs as recovery runs. You should be able to converse easily during these.
Cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, are great cross training activities. Basically, keep as active as possible without hurting yourself. The TRIUMF Strength and Stretch classes are an excellent complement to our training. Check out https://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-stretch-strength.
Please feel free to pass this message along to others at TRIUMF.
Our Group's webpages: http://www.triumf.ca/triumf-social-club/triumf-walk-run-group

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Watt
Group Leader - Information & Systems Technology Windows Team
t  604.222.7477
watt at triumf.ca<mailto:watt at triumf.ca>

TRIUMF Canada's particle accelerator centre
www.triumf.ca<http://www.triumf.ca> @TRIUMFLab

4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver BC V6T 2A3 Canada