[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 15:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:00:04 -0700

Date/Time: Tue 2003-08-19 at 15:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Stephen Godfrey (Carleton University)

Title:     Deconstructing the Charm and Charm-Strange P-wave Mesons

Abstract: The recent observation of the D_sj(2317) state decaying to D_s pi^0 by the BaBar collaboration and the subsequent observation of the D_s1(2460) by the CLEO collaboration has stimulated considerable interest in this sector of meson spectroscopy.  The properties of these states are much different from what was predicted by quark potential models which has led to all sorts of  speculation as to what these states might be.  The observation of their non-strange partners by the Belle collaboration
has not attracted nearly the same interest but are likely to be the key to unravelling the charm-strange states.  In my talk I will go over the experimental situation, describe some of the theoretical explanations and then "deconstruct" the spectroscopy to see if we can
make sense of the situation.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.