[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Thu 2003-12-18 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Michael Gericke (Indiana University)

Title:     Weak Pion-Nucleon Coupling and Parity Violation in the Radiative Capture of Polarized Cold Neutrons on Hydrogen

Abstract: The NPDGamma collaboration has constructed an apparatus to determine the size of the pion-nucleon coupling constant in the parity nonconserving pion exchange weak potential for N-N interactions. This coupling constant is directly proportional to the parity violating up-down asymmetry in the angular distribution of gamma rays with respect to the neutron spin direction in the reaction
[n + p -> d + gamma]. The asymmetry has a predicted size of 5e-8 and we will measure it to 10%. In this talk, I will give an outline of the theoretical background, present the motivation for the experiment and report on the experimental setup as well as the current status of the project. Emphasis will be placed on the performance results for the CsI detector array, DAQ and analysis, the spin flipper and the possible systematic effects for this setup.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.