[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster@admin.triumf.ca postmaster@admin.triumf.ca
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 05:00:01 -0800

Date/Time: Fri 2004-02-06 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Achim Schwenk (Ohio State University)

Title:     Effective interactions and pairing in neutron stars

Abstract: I first discuss how the renormalization group can be used can be used to construct a model-independent nucleon-nuleon interaction V_{low k}. V_{lowk} unifies all potential models used in nuclear structure calculations. Results for few-nucleon systems will be presented. I will then discuss the role of many-body correlations for pairing and for the effective interaction in nuclear matter, with particular attention to the spin dependence. I will show that, in addition to the standard forces, spin non-conserving effective interactions and a novel long-wavelength tensor force are induced in the medium. Finally, I present results for the renormalization of non-central forces and P-wave pairing gaps in neutron matter and discuss their implications for the evolution of neutron stars.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.